Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Wired speeds very slow

Hi 

I have a 3.0 Hub I have a number of devices using the internet but nothing more than one other person streaming Netflix.

I have an issue when I get 240/24 speeds on my laptop (wired Ethernet) and close to that on wifi. When I start attempting to stream after a few minutes my speeds drop to 8/0.1 on my wired connection to my laptop. At the same time when I check the wifi connection on my mobile it's still running at 240/24.

Any idea what is going on here and how to fix it? Most the time I'm trying to do this it's around 11pm so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I tried following the instructions on how to find my upstreams and downstream but I haven't been able to find that information. I did manage to log into my router and ran a diagnostic check which I have attached a picture of.

Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks,

Alex

Screenshot_20200724-225522.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wired speeds very slow

@cityblue wrote:

Hi 

I have a 3.0 Hub I have a number of devices using the internet but nothing more than one other person streaming Netflix.

I have an issue when I get 240/24 speeds on my laptop (wired Ethernet) and close to that on wifi. When I start attempting to stream after a few minutes my speeds drop to 8/0.1 on my wired connection to my laptop. At the same time when I check the wifi connection on my mobile it's still running at 240/24.

Any idea what is going on here and how to fix it? Most the time I'm trying to do this it's around 11pm so not sure if that has anything to do with it. 

Hi Alex

if other devices are still showing full speed when your laptop is getting slower speeds then it doesn't sound like an issue with your line, as that would impact speed on all devices.  It suggests the issue might be with your laptop or the Ethernet connection on the hub.

Does it only happen with Netflix or all streaming sites, like BBC iPlayer or YouTube?

Do you have any other device with Ethernet that you could test with? This could help top establish if it is just the laptop experiencing this or any Ethernet connected device.

If you restart your laptop does it return to full speed again?  If not how long does it take to return to full speed after you stop streaming?

What operating system is the laptop running?

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scott

None of the other devices connected to the hub have this issue (phone, ipad)

I have tried multiple Ethernet ports on my hub and a new Ethernet cable so it's not that. Also I think it's worth noting that I get the regular 240/24 speeds wired through the laptop for awhile but when I start streaming live videos on YouTube after ten minutes the speeds drops to 10/0.2.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

My laptop (Lenovo y540) is on windows 10 I just ran the 2007 update yesterday to see if that would fix it.

I've tried turning off my McAfee firewall too. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Neither of the devices you listed use Ethernet so that doesn't help rule out an Ethernet issue with the hub which may be impacting all of the ports.  Although that is less likely than the laptop being the issue.

Are you testing speeds while still streaming, or after you stop streaming?  Streaming will use some bandwidth and CPU power and less available CPU power can result in slower speed test results.

What is the CPU usage like on the laptop when it shows the slow speeds?

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I tested the speeds while streaming and after (hours after) still the same slow speed, while on my mobile it's flying.

I checked cpu now and it's 3-5%

Yes this and the PlayStation is the only device I use with Ethernet connection but ive only ever had one drop in connect while on the PS4 recently. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I just tried restarting the laptop and the speeds went back to normal 240/24.

But I guess its only a matter of time before it's drops down again

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

As wireless devices are always getting full speed, have you tried a wireless connection on the laptop and see if it also slows down after streaming?

Unfortunately consoles are not the best for measuring speeds, even with an Ethernet connection.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@cityblue wrote:

I just tried restarting the laptop and the speeds went back to normal 240/24.

But I guess its only a matter of time before it's drops down again

That points to something on the laptop slowing it down then it gets reset or cleared when you restart it.  Could be a faulty driver issue or some software that throttles the connection after an amount of time or an amount of data has been downloaded or streamed.

You need to take this up with Lenovo and see if they can explain this, as none of the evidence suggests it is a VM issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Just testing it out with wifi now to see if it drops also. I presume it will as I have checked the wifi speeds after it has dropped from the Ethernet route and they didn't improve.

Thanks for your help anyway, I will try Lenovo for an answer. If anyone else has any other ideas please let me know.

0 Kudos