cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wired slower than Wireless

patrickj19
Tuning in

Hi all

Hoping someone can help - seems I must be doing something wrong. New customer, 1Gig connection

• Wireless connection to iphone at around 400mb/s
  • Wired connection direct from router to PC via Cat7 ethernet at 25-50mb/

Anything obvious i should be doing when setting up the wired connection?

Cheers, Patrick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

After searching the forum i found a useful post from a user called echelom. Following these steps seems to have resolved the issue.

If you have, then do the following.

First, enter in the Run/or search box cmd.exe
Make sure you open it in Administrator Mode.

Now enter the following:
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

Now type the following two lines, and hit the Return key after entering each one.
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns

Now, to make sure all the changes above have worked, restart your PC.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

patrickj19
Tuning in

BQM link Yellow latency spikes whenever i run a speed test, Red spike was a hub reset

All 3 of the speed tests below completed on the same PC, same wired connection, same browser. I can't explain the Google test showing so high, it definitely 'feels' slow.

image.png

image.pngimage.png

After searching the forum i found a useful post from a user called echelom. Following these steps seems to have resolved the issue.

If you have, then do the following.

First, enter in the Run/or search box cmd.exe
Make sure you open it in Administrator Mode.

Now enter the following:

Now type the following two lines, and hit the Return key after entering each one.
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns

Now, to make sure all the changes above have worked, restart your PC.

@patrickj19 wrote:

Now enter the following:

Its seems a lot of people are changing the default normal back to default normal....😋  

---------------------------------------------------------------

I booted up my PC this morning and found that the speeds were back down to the slow speeds of yesterday.

I checked auto-tuning level and it still showed as normal.

I followed the above steps again, and rebooted the pc, and once again the speeds are back up to 600-700mb/s. 

Can anyone help explain why this is happening and how I can get the high speeds consistently without this step?

@patrickj19 wrote:

I booted up my PC this morning and found that the speeds were back down to the slow speeds of yesterday.

I checked auto-tuning level and it still showed as normal.

I followed the above steps again, and rebooted the pc, and once again the speeds are back up to 600-700mb/s. 

Can anyone help explain why this is happening and how I can get the high speeds consistently without this step?

It's been known that some third party software can cause slowness.

Try your PC in safe mode (With Networking) with several reboots. If the speed remains the same then you need to work out what software is causing the issue.

You can check what's set to start up automatically (Task Manager) and disable till you find the one causing the issue.