Menu
Enigmo
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Will modem mode + router improve 2.4ghz speed?

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying another router and using my Hub 3 in modem mode.

Though, I'm only going to do this if the WiFi speed with the 2.4Ghz connection improves when you use another router. Can anyone confirm whether this is the case?

The 2.4Ghz connection strength is good and can reach almost all parts of the house opposed to the 5Ghz connection, but the 2.4Ghz speed is incredibly slow, at like 8Mbps if lucky--compared to 50-200Mbps on 5Ghz.

Also, would using a new router have any improvements for ethernet-connected devices? My DL speed on ethernet is perfect, I get more than advertised for my package. But a few months ago I reported incredibly slow upload speeds and this problem persists and has even gotten worse. So yeah, I'm curious if a new router may have any benefits for this.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Will modem mode + router improve 2.4ghz speed?

Unlikely to be a massive improvement in speeds see example below.  A good Mesh system might help more though - others with one should comment

------
My Macbook Air and iPhone7 both get 220mbps on my Vivid200 wifi connection (and 220 on ethernet of course). However, on wifi, they only get that when I put them onto the 5GHz network. Sat in exactly the same spot if I then flick them over to the 2.4GHz network, they max out at 70-80mbps (others on here get even lower [<50] speeds on their set ups) - it's just the limitations of the technology!

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Enigmo
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hmm?

Are external routers involved in that example?

Also, I only get up to around 8Mbps on all my devices, really. I'd be fine with 70-80. On my iPhone 6, iPhone 10, Windows PC, Smart TVs, etc etc the 2.4Ghz WiFi speed has never reached anywhere near 70-80Mbps.
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

A mesh system might help, but before concluding that we'd need to have an idea of what type of property, how large the property is, how many floors, and what it is made from including internal walls. 

Some properties (solid brick, steel framed, reinforced concrete, or thick stone internal walls) are very difficult for wifi because the walls attenuate the signal.  Other times, flats converted from older properties can be bad because there's so many wireless signals from all the different flats that conflict.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Enigmo wrote:
Hmm?

Are external routers involved in that example?

Oh yes - I never let VM Hubs do my routing - features are so poor.  Mind you its about what you would expect in a twenty quid modem+router+wireless combo. 

Are you getting full speeds on 5GHz?   Try disabling "channel optimisation" and renaming the SSID's of the two bands and see if that helps.  Also Scan with a wifi scanning App and see what other channels are in use around you and their relative strengths and then change yours if/as appropriate.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos