Menu
chriscant
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Will a booster actually Help?

So long story short

WIFI Card - WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0

VM Hub3 - Recently upgraded to M350

When my PC is RIGHT NEXT to the box the wifi is coming in at 200+Mbps (on Dual Band), when ethered in its coming in at 380+, happy days.

Except my home office is on the side of the house and upstairs where my speeds drop to 50-60Mbps (on Dual Band), if i force my hardware onto 5G then its 90Mbps but still not where near the lightning speeds of 200-300Mbps.

So - will a booster actually help this?

Second question if a booster has an ethernet port and i plug my PC into that will speeds be comparable to the Hub3 when cabled in?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Will a booster actually Help?

Any kind of Booster, Router or Mesh System will not improve the internet speed so firstly, to determine the actual speed supplied to the Hub you need to test at >>  SamKnows << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected.

Once you are happy that you are getting the correct supplied speed you can look at extending the Local Area Network (LAN). Without doubt the best way is to use ethernet connections, after that it is a toss up between a gigabit enabled Wi-Fi Router & Mesh System and a long way back after those is any kind of Power Line Adaptor (PLA).

You must look at your ...

Budget,

Environment - distances, building construction etc.

Workload the device will have to support.

Have a read of online PC and Networking mags to get an idea.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos