Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Will VM fibre solve my problem?

Please help,

Like so many of us I need a reliable fast connection for home working and I now teach online. Therefore this question is vital to me.

I have ordered VM fibre but it's not yet installed and I can't get fibre in my area from another supplier. My current broadband speed won't even allow me to play Netflix and there's distortions when I try and teach. Before 2-3 weeks ago, my low-cost package gave me no problems. Now it's consistently unreliable. I am anxious that changing to VM fibre might not resolve the problem. I had a brainwave and tried to do a speed test on my mobile data which isn't connected to my router/home wifi. I had the same speed issue temporarily. Does that mean that getting a faster fibre connection may not solve my problem?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Will VM fibre solve my problem?

Try VM, there is a 14-day cooling period during which you can cancel your contract for free.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. I think I may have to - what puts me off is they have to dig up my road before I know if it's worked or not!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Virgin use their own network infrastructure, so any line speeds quoted for your BT line mean nothing as the BT line is not used for your service. If you are in a non fibre area, then everyone else could be using mobiles, hence slowing this down.

I have to say you take the same risk with utilisation issues on Virgin, being the only fibre provider. There is also a question of if you are in a legacy HFC cable network area or the newer Fibre to Home, as this could also make a difference

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Vita4 wrote:

Thank you. I think I may have to - what puts me off is they have to dig up my road before I know if it's worked or not!

Any digging was done years ago to install the ducting and cabinets, so all that's needed is to pull a cable from the cabinet to your pavement Tee and run that cable to a termination box, known as an omni box coloured brown or grey, on the exterior of your property. Check out what it looks like with your neighboiurs' installations.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you 'very insightful person' - I didn't understand how the network worked but that does help.

How do I find out about this: (if you're in) in a legacy HFC cable network area or the newer Fibre to Home? I have no idea

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Roger: Apparently I don't have one and they need to send out a builder before they can put the cable in and they said only one neighbour had Virgin and this was done years ago so the cable is to go under the ground in my property. Not sure exactly what I don't have. The cabinet? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Vita4 wrote:

Roger: Apparently I don't have one and they need to send out a builder before they can put the cable in and they said only one neighbour had Virgin and this was done years ago so the cable is to go under the ground in my property. Not sure exactly what I don't have. The cabinet? 

Virgin won't install to a single house & nothing else. As mentioned before, at sometime in the past (HFC areas go back to the 1990s) the road has had the ducting put in. If you didn't have this you would be waiting far longer than 2 weeks. Look on the boundary of your property & you should see a square or triangular cover marked with CATV or a company name. If the cover is more like an oblong & has Virgin Media on it you are likely in a full fibre area, anything else is HFC.

Cable service duct HFC TeeCable service duct HFC Tee

VM Toby access pointVM Toby access point

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the pictures!

It's definitely not a full fibre area. I have found what you mean, I think, it's got the words 'cable' on it and its triangular - but they said that was my neighbour's and that they need to put in one for me. They drew a green square where it will go

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So...is HFC speed more variable and not as good?

0 Kudos