Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Wifi

My wifi is extremely slow. There are multiple devices connected but that wasnt a problem a couple of days ago( it was working fine) now even if i am right beside the wifi i get about 10mb which is noway near 200mb which i should be getting. I have tried everything but i cant solve the problem. In certain rooms where i would get 50mb i now get 1-2mb. I dont know if there is a problem with the hub i curremtlt have. There is work getting done in our front by builders although the ethernet speed is fine.

Is there any suggestions

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi

What speed do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

If you remove all the internal walls, water, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from an ISP Hub.

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

what speeds do you get wired?

Wireless speeds can change from second to second due to 1000's of external factors

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

With ethernet im getting good speeds but i have only few devices with ethernet. The wirlese wifi was working properly eventhough there are obstructions. But suddenly a few days ago the wifi just went bad. I went from 190mb beside the router to 15mb now. And i got 50mb at the furthest room which is blocked by thick walls and now i get 1-3mb now. I have tried resetting the wifi but it makes no difference. 

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Someone answer

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

if you are getting the speeds wired then you are getting the service contracted.
The VM hubs are budget devices and are known to have poor wifi. Its always better to get your own router and run in modem mode

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ok. Do you maybr know why the wifi suddenly becomes bad though. I mean its never been this bad. Also what modem do you reccomend

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

wifi can be affected by 100's of external factors. Other wifi networks, Interferance or other devices using the shared frequencies.

As for routers the ones i recommend are not really user friendly 🙂

Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I wouldn't put it passed the hub to reduce transmitter output when other wifi are about in attempt with other hubs to lower Interference.

heres a cheap router to look at
https://www.alza.co.uk/zyxel-nbg6615-d5481208.htm?o=1
---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you but the wifi is working again after 5 days

0 Kudos