Menu
jjhalll
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Wifi speeds very slow - can I upgrade Hub ?

Hi,

I have complained a number of times about the slow wifi speeds I am getting. I am on the highest package and have tried everything to increased the speeds. Wifi extenders and currently I am on a mesh wifi system however the speeds are still much slower than they should be (600MBs!), is there something please that can be done ? Otherwise I do not understand the point of me paying for the highest speeds if i cant even get close to the higher end of them ?

Will the latest hub help ? I am still on the older HUB 3 ?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi speeds very slow - can I upgrade Hub ?

The Hub4 is no better than the Hub3.

What make/model of Mesh system are you using?

And have you got the Hub in modem mode with the Mesh doing all the heavy lifting - that is the best way to do it

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jjhalll
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Thanks for your response.

I have got the Deco 5, which has helped slightly if im honest but still an absolute fraction of what it should/could be.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My two pals both got M5's recently and both say they are the greatest thing since sliced bread - full wifi speeds all round. I suspect you aren't using it to its best ability if you didnt set it up this way, try it.

Set the first Deco unit to be in DDCP&Nat mode. Then disconnect the cable from the Hub (if on) and power the Deco off.

Then put the VM Hub into modem mode (see VM website for “how to” details) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!) leave 5'. Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub must then be powered off.

Then power up the first Deco unit and make sure it’s fully initialised (just leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable to the VM hub Any port should work - but only that one then does). Now power up the VM hub and you should get a connection.

Use the recommended App procedure to connect other Mesh units to the first one.

This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub. If you need extra ethernet ports then you can use the ones on the M5's or get an unmanaged ethernet switch with more GB ports and plug that into the second port on that first Deco unit

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jjhalll
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Thank you again, this definitely sounds good.

I am fairly happy with putting the hub in modem mode, but when you say "Set the first Deco unit to be in DDCP&Nat mode." im not too sure how or what is meant by this ? Is this a setting that will be in the deco app ?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It ought to be obvious in the Deco settings. DHCP mode means its doing the routing - Bridge mode (or whatever the Deco calls it) is when the Hub is routing and the Deco just doing the wifi (which I suspect how yours has been set up).

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hey @jjhalll,

Thanks for your post on the forums.

I have been able to locate your account and can see that there is an SNR fault in your area at the moment and this would be the likely cause of the issues that you're having and described.

The current fix date for this to be resolved is 24th February at 9am, You might also find that your Virgin TV services are intermittent, with the picture freezing or disappearing now and then. We are sorry and our engineers are working hard to resolve this for you.

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
jjhalll
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your response, i did see the message prior when I was logging the issue. From my side though, this is an issue we have had ever since we put the wifi in almost 2 years ago, and I have flagged it on a number of occasions. I am happy to wait until after the work to see if there is any improvement, but my gut instinct is that there will not be. 

If this is the case, what are my next steps in order to get the wifi to a suitable level for the package I am on ?

Thank you

0 Kudos