Menu
Scouserboy
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Wifi speeds during COVID-19 lockdown

Could anyone from Virgin tell me why my wifi speed is so abysmal at certain times of the day since lockdown started (e.g. 2-3 Mbps download, 0.8-2Mbps upload)?  I've been taking speedtest.net readings next to the router at various times of the day as shown by the CSV file which is accessible through the link below. I've removed my IP internal and external addresses for security reasons.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YkaEHtCnD3HbK42NBsf6fIrATvcjIzI_

Are you guys throttling the network, particularly around 11am-2pm and 4-8pm?  I've restarted the router a number of times but that makes no difference.  The bandwidth is so low during the above times that I can't attend Zoom meetings or GotoMeeting webinars.

Your response will be welcome as I'm considering seeking a rebate on my monthly payments when the lockdown is lifted and the wifi speed returns to normal

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi speeds during COVID-19 lockdown

You can only check your broadband speed with a suitable device wired to the Hub.  WiFi speeds vary for many different reasons, even close to the Hub.

0 Kudos
Scouserboy
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks jpeg1 for the reply.  I work in tech so I know that's the most reliable way of checking the broadband speed. I'm not varying anything when I'm doing the wifi test, yet it is significantly different at various times of the day and it's the same times of the day when the wifi speed almost drops to zero.  My tech colleagues are reporting the same results, particularly on the Virgin and BT networks so I was trying to ascertain from a Virgin rep whether they are throttling the network at certain times of the day to cope with demand.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have seen no evidence of intentional throttling. The network is much busier now and that shows as greater latency rather than lower speeds.

If you are having problems with video applications then an ethernet connection will always give the best results. 

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

VM have assured us that they are not throttling their network at any time of day or night. The network has more than sufficient capacity for all foreseeable needs during the Covid 19 emergency. What you see may be the result of wifi interference from other localities. Try changing channels etc. You know how to do that.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos