Menu
daysofspeed
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Wifi speed wild differences without any discernible reason

Have 1Gig.

Sam Knows speeds show connection to Hub 4 is solid and decent speed.

However the wifi speed goes as high as and as low as - without changing anything.

Checked load, usage, interference, kept same channel (44) for teh 5ghz band (separated from the 2.4ghz).

A reboot dramatically increases speed. This then slowly drops off until useless, reboot - amazing again. Rinse, repeat.

Speedtest before reboot...

Screenshot 2021-01-19 at 14.29.25.jpg

After (no change of anything, just a reboot. No fewer connections or extra signal traffic from other houses etc, same channel - no repositioning of equipment)...

Screenshot 2021-01-19 at 14.42.17.jpg

I know wifi speed isn't going to hit 1gig - that's not my issue here. I can, as above, hit as fast as 750mbps - but why is it then dropping off to useless? NB it NOT do this using a Superhub 3.

BQM latest...

Screenshot 2021-01-20 at 15.10.22.jpg

Anything else I can check, happy to do and share info.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi speed wild differences without any discernible reason

Get a better wireless router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
daysofspeed
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

NETGEAR Nighthawk Whole Home Mesh WiFi 6 System MK62 - do the job?

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Without fixing the root cause of your poor circuit, the best router in the world will make no difference.  You need to post all your power levels and network logs for comment.  Also setup a "shared" BQM so we can see the latest data.  At a quick glance your BQM is typical of an over subscribed area.

However, some users of the Hub 4 have reported using an additional cooling fan under the Hub 4 to blow additional cool air up through the Hub. For the sake of a few pounds it may be worth trying as well.

0 Kudos
daysofspeed
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

BQM link...

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/9227f4fbb4a0248514e87c17c25992f699c959be

No idea where to find / what to hide when posting info - for power levels etc. Apologies - searched forum for a "how to" couldn't find any info on where to get this and what to not share (I've seen peel get told they've shared data they ought not).

Thanks for the patience and help.

0 Kudos