Menu
Martin7497
Tuning in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Wifi speed v ethernet speed expectations

Hi,  All of a sudden my wifi speed has dropped significantly.  No new equipment has been added to the network.  When I use Speedtest I get about a third of what I usually get.  I am supposed to get 200mbps.  I am told that the guarantied speed is only when I am using ethernet.  I have tested my connection using the Virgin Media test and it says everything is ok.  I have rebooted the hub and my device and it hasn't made a difference.  When there isn't anything new on the network, I've checked using Advanced IP Scanner, I don't understand why I'm get such a drop on speed.  As I'm supposed to be getting a particular speed at the hub, why would all of a sudden would I see a drop over wifi?

Thanks, Martin

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi speed v ethernet speed expectations

Hi there @Martin7497

Welcome back to our Community, sorry that you've spotted some issues with your WiFi speed recently.

I have located your account from here and can see that you have been in touch recently and some adjustments we're made to your frequencies; how have things been since then? I can see from here that some of your devices may still be on the incorrect band/frequency which may be impacting your performance. 

5GHz WiFi will typically provide faster WiFi, but it does not reach as far as the slower 2.4GHz WiFi network. Devices are supposed to switch back and forth between the 2 WiFi networks to ensure the best possible connection at all times, however this often doesn’t happen.

A simple way of ensuring you are connected to the best WiFi signal is to turn off WiFi on the device and then turn it back on, particularly if you’ve just moved location in your home (like walking around with a mobile or tablet for example). If the 5GHz WiFi signal is strong enough your device will automatically connect to it.

Keep us posted with how you get on. 

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos