Menu
Robert711
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Wifi speed issues

Hi guys, I don't know if anyone else has experienced this issue 

I got virgin media installed about 2 years ago starting with the 100mb speed on a Hub 3 system

After a few weeks I had loads of issues with speed and router kept losing internet connection and needing restarting

After a while virgin kindly sent me another router, which so far hasn't had the same issues (ie losing connection to the internet)

I've also upgraded to the 200mb service to hopefully increase my speed.

However I'm still experiencing slow issues over wifi, and we don't have that many devices connected.

1. Playstation over ethernet so wired connection achieving around 50-60mbs all the time

2, Apple TV in a room above where the router is (router is in an OPEN location so not enclosed)
here I'm only receiving around 8-10mps at best and sometimes keeps buffering

we have other things like echo shows google nest hub, but they are mostly dormant 

I've done a speed check on my mobile and I'm only getting 6-9mbs in the Apple TV room, which I feel is really bad for a 200mbs service

Is it the HUB which is the issue?, I've literally tried resetting, rebooting and still experience the same issues ,  always keep checking with my iPhone with a speed checker to make sure its not just my device, but I notice a massive dropout on wifi throughout the house.

I don't really want to spend more money, but is there anything that anyone has done? is the router just bad?,

Any advice would be great !

Thank you

0 Kudos
Robert711
Joining in
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi speed issues

Also its me again sorry!!

But is the HUB4 much much better???? I've just heard loads of bad stories about the HUB 3's performance

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hub4 is no better.

Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

If it is just a wifi issue, then on a Hub3/4, try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" Then use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just use 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz)— that often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂
To address this, VM now supply “wifi pods” (not “boosters”). Pods are free to “some customers” most will be charged £5/month and they dont have enough supplies right now to provide them unless you have a demonstrable wifi issue.

At that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever and which will cure all your wifi woes.

Get either a…
(1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2) & (3).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Robert711
Joining in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi John thanks for your quick reply

To be honest this is my second hub3 router 

The playstation I've connected using two power line TP adapters and works really well through the ethernet port of the router

Its just when I'm upstairs I get much slower speeds on wifi, I've tried lots of things with the settings to no avail

I suppose I could get another power line adapter and run an ethernet to the Apple TV, which would most likely solve the issue (running through our electrical circuit in the house), but I'm paying for 200mb, and wifi speeds are barely above 10-20mbs upstairs which is really disappointing

Is it worth badgering virgin to get the hub 4 router, or maybe buy another router? if so which one would you recommend ? feels a bit crap having to go out and buy another router when already paying a subscription

Also the router is by our TV downstairs but totally in the open not in a cabinet, and we don't live in metal box walls so can't imagine why the signal is that bad upstairs 😞

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

No the Hub4 is no better and many on here say its wifi is worse than a Hub3.

If its just wifi then getting your own better quality (not boosters or powerlines) is the only way you will solve it if you have tried all the "fixes" suggested on here.

I did it 21 years ago and have never had a wifi only issue.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Robert711
Joining in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Also sorry if I'm sounding stupid here, do I need just to buy another single TP line adapter for my Apple TV and then I can use the same connection that's from my one connected to my router ? , I'm thinking this might split the speed with the playstation? that might be easier as they are quite cheap

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

They are cheap for a reason 🙂

My lad connects his gaming PC on a pair of Solwise PA's and has no problems - but he paid £90 for them and the "better" Devolo Magic's are in the £100's. He still only gets ~60mbps out of the wired connection - I get 220 on my direct wired connection - that's usual for PA's

Nowadays you can get a good 3 pack Mesh system for that price.

So by all means if they do work for you, it should help the Apple TV. Remember streaming UHD 4K video may require a minimum of 25mbps

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
mjpartyboy
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:

My lad connects his gaming PC on a pair of Solwise PA's and has no problems - but he paid £90 for them and the "better" Devolo Magic's are in the £100's. He still only gets ~60mbps out of the wired connection - I get 220 on my direct wired connection - that's usual for PA's

I've got a pair of TP-Link AV1200 Powerline Adapters I bought years ago when they were on sale, TL-PA8030P (V1), as I figured they would come in handy. Both are passthrough, so you don't lose the mains socket, and they have three gigabit ports on them. They're end of life now, but still do a great job, despite the lounge wiring (router location) being much older than the kitchen wiring (device location). I mainly use them with my Xbox Series X and have seen downloads reach max speeds of our 200/20 service (various factors affect Xbox downloads). For full disclosure, I have a Super Hub 2 in modem mode and use an ASUS AC86U router.

SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node
0 Kudos
Sasha_W
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Morning @Robert711

Welcome to the community page and thanks for posting this on here. 

Sorry to hear you're having some speed issues but we can certainly look into this for you. 

How are things since posting on here? Have they improved at all? 

From looking at your account via your forum information, I can see that there are no outages or faults that should be affecting your connection and everything does look okay to me. 

Is your hub currently in a happy, open location with nothing that could be restricting the signal, as this can also affect your speeds? 

Please do let us know 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Robert711
Joining in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi I had to go out and buy an Ethernet adapter to increase the speed of my internet in the room just above the router !!!!

The router is in the open but I get such fluctuating speeds especially on WiFi 

God knows what’s going on 

0 Kudos