Menu
BabyBboyB
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Wifi speed doubled when pc plugged in via ethernet cable?

HELP (please!)

I'm a new customer to VM and have chosen the M100 package, so was expecting speeds of around 100mbps.  Disappointingly, wifi speeds have registered as low as 28mbps and only ever as high as 41mbps within the first few days of being set up.  Tried the instant chat service for help but they were hopeless and so called and, after spending 40 mins waiting to get through, the call handler suggested I plug in a PC via ethernet.

The speed increased dramatically on the PC to over 100mbps, however, somewhat surprisingly, when I tested the wifi speed via my work PC in the room next door, it too had increased to over 100mbps.

When I disconnect the PC, the speed then drops again.  Why is this, please?  Can't get me head around why plugging a device via ethernet would improve the wi-fi signal, or is the speed test actually registering the personal PC next door, even when carrying out the test on my work laptop, which doesn't share a network, etc, with my personal laptop?

0 Kudos
TheChairman
Up to speed
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi speed doubled when pc plugged in via ethernet cable?

I presuming this is a case of two pc's and not a case of taking one pc to one room and then back again.

If it is a case of two separate pc's the only thing I can think off is that when you plugging the pc in you're disturbing the connection to the router and making a better connection.

Can you check the cable connections to the router and make they are tight.

When the other pc is disconnected from the wifi it is off and not sharing the wifi?

0 Kudos
BabyBboyB
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi speed doubled when pc plugged in via ethernet cable?

Hi mate. Yes, two separate PC's.  All connections are as tight as my 34 inch waist dress trousers are, now that I'm an overweight middle aged couch potato...! Not sure what your mean by your last paragraph, could you elaborate please? Cheers, Paul. 

0 Kudos