Menu
Sandrawoodpecke
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Wifi so slow even after pin hole reset - 5.3 download and upload speed, i have middle wifi package

I swapped to virgin about a month ago and am really unhappy with speeds. I've done speed tests and it was 11.4 download and 6.2 upload. I contacted virgin online chat. After an hour and a half I was asked to do pin hole reset which didn't help and speeds are now 5.3 download and 5.3 upload. No other devices were being used. My speed are crippling slow and I'm really fed up with it. I paid to have a faster wifi speed but it's pretty rubbish. Help!

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi so slow even after pin hole reset - 5.3 download and upload speed, i have middle wifi package

What Hub did you get and what package are you on?

No BB supplier guarantees wifi speeds (even BT/Sky have "get out of jail free" cards in the T&C's) yo pay for BB speed delivered "to" the Hub. So you have to test what comes "out" of it on an ethernet cable connected device (wifi is to variable) - directly into the Hub which is in modem mode. Can you do that and report back what speeds you get then.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Sandrawoodpecke
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi so slow even after pin hole reset - 5.3 download and upload speed, M200 package

Hi, i've plugged an ethernet cable into laptop and hub, my speed test showed download of 13.68, upload of 1.14, i've got 3.0 hub and am on M200 package. Its really making me cross that this wifi is so rubbish. Any suggestions would be great, thank you

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi so slow even after pin hole reset - 5.3 download and upload speed, M200 package

First do the test again but do it this way... (ignore wifi for now - get to that later).

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a known 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a known good and working Cat5e (or better) ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode”. Test at speedtest.net (not the App!) to your nearest VM server - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot the device into safe+networking mode and try again.

There are many posts on here where unknown software, corrupted browsers or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos