Menu
xsooonta
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wifi shuts down unless i turn a VPN on at a specific time everyday

I don't know why but every day at 22:00 or 23:00 my wifi seems to stop working properly, i will still have connection but unable to connect with anyone else, (can't go on twitch, discord, instagram, facebook etc or play any online games) unless i turn a vpn on. 

Anyone know how to fix?

0 Kudos
brooksy79
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi shuts down unless i turn a VPN on at a specific time everyday

Can you explain your setup a bit more?

Are you using the hub 3 or 4 in router mode and your vpn provider on a computer/ phone?

or

Hub in modem mode with own router and vpn set on the router providing vpn access on all devices?

Who is your vpn provider?

Check your VPN’s kill switch is off

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @xsooonta

Welcome back to our Community and thanks so much for your post - sorry that you're having some issues with your broadband currently. 

We've not been able to locate your account from your forum information so will need to ask you some more questions to best assist you with your issue! As our user @brooksy79 has advise, can you explain your set up a bit more so we can see what the situation is?

Do you have the issue on a wired connection also? Do you find that a reboots reconnects? 

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
xsooonta
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I use Hotspot Shield Free VPN on my computer when my connection dies, and i believe that i'm using hub 3 mode, but the connection dies for all the devices that are connected to my router.

0 Kudos
xsooonta
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wireless connection and rebooting doesn't do anything.
0 Kudos
Molly_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply @xsooonta

Sorry to hear you haven't seen an improvement with these measures. Can you confirm what happens when the devices lose connection before you connect to the VPN - are there any error messages that appear? 

Thanks,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
xsooonta
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

No, I just lose connection and when i try to go on some websites such as twitch, i get an error message saying that the connection can not be secured, Non my games work online or Instagram, Snapchat, discord etc. but Youtube and some other websites work only that you can't use to communicate with people if you get what i mean.

0 Kudos
Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the additional information xsooonta.

Have you been able to see if the same sites or issue happen on any wired devices? When the wireless network drops on your mobile, if you check the connections and your Wi-Fi does it advise 'Connected but no Internet'

Rob

0 Kudos
ToffeeSurprise
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Almost certainly some software on your PC causing this, unless you've somehow managed to do something strange in parental control settings. VPN connects proving Virgin Media's internet breakout is working.

I'd be inclined to think your PC clock is wrong, you have security software or your VPN software is interfering with the connection which is why you get the issue with certificates causing the HTTPS connection to fail, or you have some malware.

Also, if you're using a free VPN software, you're the product.