Menu
cmats
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Wifi repeater

My router is at one end of my flat and to get wifi at the other end I have a TP-link repeater. On a speed test my speeds through the repeater are very slow. Do you have any tips or advice? Perhaps there is a different product I can try? Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Chloe

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi repeater

Repeaters are just sticking plasters. If you really want to sort the wifi out in you flat you should try...

Either.....

1) A Mesh System
2) A Wireless router
3) A Wireless Access Point(s)
OR
4) A combination of the above

Depending on your requirements for... better routing features, your flat layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£60-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router and may (or may not) alone solve the wifi in your situation depending on size/construction material in the flat. And spending up to ~£500 will get the Rolls Royce solution of a high-end Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system - but is probably overkill for you 🙂

If you are able to run ethernet cable from the Hub to your wifi "dead" spot(s) - then doing that and getting a wireless access point connected on the other end would probably suffice. Good ones can be had for <£50 if you look in the usual online places.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
cmats
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John. Looking again I think I actually have a power line network not an extender. Is a newer and better power line network an option or do you not recommend these? Mine used to work quite well but has got worse since I switched to virgin and the speeds I’m getting are very slow.

Thanks

Chloe

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I also use Powerline adapters.

My lad has a pair of Solwise 1200 ones and connects to his gaming computer and consoles in his room with them, by short ethernet cables and not wifi though. They are absolutely "solid" and has no issues. They are very good quality ones - were about £80 the pair. However I cant vouch for getting ones with wifi though.
Good ones ought to be fine if your electrical circuitry has a good low noise connection - and as you say they were fine before there is no reason that it should be different with a VM connection.

What make/model do you have? Do they have ethernet ports to test them on that?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos