Menu
Abbie254
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Wifi really struggling

I have had nothing but problems with my WiFi it’s so slow and drops out completely in my kitchen when I try to run my laptop off of it - constantly having to use my phone as a hot spot. 

ive been through the motions 100 times with virgin and it’s never fixed, thinking maybe I need a booster as my router is in the lounge and I’m often in the kitchen. 

Ive looked at my account and it looks like they’re two routers?! But I only have one... so confused I’m not very technical... can anyone help? Would a booster help? 

thanks 

7F551A19-FEC1-4A57-B39E-65190A073242.png

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Super solver
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi really struggling

Have you tried a Wired connection, just to see.

There is an app you can get for your phone called WIFI ANALYZER, you can use this to check your signal around your house.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@RedGooner advice is probably right. If you have the kind of home or layout which impedes the transmission of low power radio waves, which is what wifi, actually is then you will see coldspots and blackspots all around your house. VM do guarantee wifi speeds for that very reason. They only get concerned if the speed to your Hub is out of kilter. You don't have two routers. VM's hubs broadcast and receive on two frequencies and are set up to, in theory, to offer the best connection possible on one or other of the frequencies, provided your devices will receive and transmit on both frequencies 2.4 and 5 GHz.  Older devices will only use the 2.4 GHz frequency which while it has good range has a lower speed. 5 GHz is faster but only over short distances.

So where do you go from here. Well its down to you to resolve, not VM,  if the issue is that your home is not wifi friendly.  VM do now offer a new service using intelligent wifi pods which are simple plug and play devices and help to spread the wifi signal around your house and can cure blackspots. They cost £5 a month for between 1 and 3 pods.  Other solutions are available. Others will come here and explain more, but you need a basic understanding of where you stand. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Super solver
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You have 1 SH, (the black box), it has to 2 WIFI feq (2.4GHz and 5GHz). The SSID is the same unless you change it.

I myself when i set my mums up, changed the SSID to VMxxxx for the 2.4GHz range, and VMxxxx_5G for the 5GHz range.

Bost moden devices use 5GHz, its faster.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

May I suggest that you download and install a Wi-Fi analyser to show if there are any foreign Wi-Fi broadcasts interfering with your own Wi-Fi signals and where there are poor signal strengths..

From there you can look at refining your own Wi-Fi broadcasts.

I use this one ...

WiFi Analyzer Premium - Apps on Google Play

wifi-2

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos