Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Wifi interfering with neighbours

Hi, we just got new neighbours next to us and it seems that their virgin media wifi connection is interfering with our connection in the rooms closest to it. I mean this in the sense that the speeds we are receiving in the rooms is around 2mbps wheras everywhere else it is >150mbps. I have tested the signal strength in all rooms and it is perfect everywhere, as our flat is not very big. Not really sure what to do as there is currently no phone line i seem to be able to call because of covid!

thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi interfering with neighbours

This is a classic case of a Wi-Fi problem.

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

You could log into the Hub Settings and select a different Broadcast Channel from the neighbours to see if that helps.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I shouldnt need to buy a new router though! They should be able to provide me with a router good enough to use in a small flat!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Well they haven't because they don't guarantee Wi-Fi.

They only guarantee a Broadband connection to the Hub (WAN) after that it is up to you.

Think of Virgin Media as similar to your water contract.

A leak on the water company side of the meter is their problem, a leak on your side of the meter is your problem, bad Wi-Fi away from the Hub is just the same as poor flow to a kitchen tap - your responsibility not anyone else’s.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

But surely our water supply has technically been reduced as a result of them supplying the neighbours with water?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello

You can attempt to change the channel that the wireless is broadcasting on by going too http://192.168.0.1 and logging in with the settings password on the base of the hub.

Once loogged in see the followung picture and first turn off the "Channel Optimization" and click "Apply Settings"

This will allow you to change the channel under 2.4ghz and 5ghz , first to manual and then select anoter channel, the best channels to choose especially for the 2.4Ghz are 1, 6 or 11 there is a great guide of how to find the least used channels at https://www.howtogeek.com/197268/how-to-find-the-best-wi-fi-channel-for-your-router-on-any-operating...

Hub 3.0 2019-04-24 16-24-06.png

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Nope. Your Wi-Fi, your problem.

You have got to accept that Wi-Fi isn't infallible, it is a very poor relation to an ethernet connection and no where near as secure or open to interference.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

The only ways to 'defeat' those effects are more powerful Wi-Fi broadcasts that can overcome the interference and blockages or ethernet cable connections.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos