Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Wifi download speed 5.31Mbps, and I am sitting next to the router

Terrible wifi speeds across several different devices ongoing now for a few weeks.  I have rebooted  the router several times, both soft and hard reboot.  I am sitting in the same room as the router approx 2.5m and after a reboot I get 5.31Mbps download and 7.55Mbps upload.

Sometimes the wifi SSID completely disappears, therefore disconnecting all wifi connected devices, Ethernet devices are still working.  Occasional DNS resolution issues also on wifi and ethernet.

Seriously thinking about looking at another supplier, or replacing the router.

Called 150 and left my mobile number only to be sent a link, that I had been through previously.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi download speed 5.31Mbps, and I am sitting next to the router

So it looks like just a wifi problem as ethernet connections are fine.

First what Hub model is it ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

What are Ethernet speeds like in comparison?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lcoops

Thanks for posting. 

I am sorry for the lower than expected speeds. There are two things here, one there are two downstream channels out of spec, so I'll go ahead and send a PM as we need an engineer visit to check this and sort it out for you.

The second point would be that following a check of your router, I can see you have an amount of devices connected in excess of the recommended amount for the speed you're on. This will have a significant impact on the distribution of your service to each device.  I would recommend disconnecting some, connecting more devices where possible via Wired connection or upgrading to a speed which is suitable for the amount of devices the household is using.

I'll send that PM now 🙂

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos