Menu
Blitzed
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

WiFi speed

We just installed a new WiFi hub Today as our old one was worn out. We upgraded from 200mps-500 

how long until the WiFi speed increases? 

the speed is the same or worse and it’s worrying since I’m a gamer and my PS4 doesn’t seem faster neither my iphone

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi speed

For probably the majority of wireless devices you won't see any improvement, because they may already be operating at the maximum real-world speed given their specifications.  Some high spec devices will be able to operate close to or even above 500 Mbps, but they are a small minority.  

In terms of the question "has my cable connection speed been upgraded?", connect to the hub, click on Check router status, and then on the Configuration tab.  Look for the field for Maximum Traffic Rate in the Downstream section.  That'll show your connection speed in bits (not mega bits) per second.  Knock off the last six digits and you should see a number above 500.  If you're seeing something like 221, then the configuration upgrade hasn't yet been sent to the hub.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

How peoples minds work speed increase I will get my speed by wifi because thats what I'm paying for! nope welcome to the real world.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

A gamer would use a wired connection 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos