cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi speed upstairs

Kellyw1
Joining in

Hi

im struggling to get a good speed in sons bedroom I have bought boosters but the signal doesn’t seem to be any better. We pay for 500mb speed (I understand it’s slower wireless connectivity) but don’t is getting 20-28mbps download speeds in his room. He’s a gamer and these speeds aren’t good enough.  We are going to try and get an Ethernet connection but getting cable that long is gonna take time. Any suggestions as to what I can do?? I also can’t get a connection in another bedroom too I go in there and my mobile goes straight to mobile data!! 

4 REPLIES 4

lotharmat
Community elder
Where are the boosters plugged in?

Ideally should be halfway between the dead-spot and the router.

If it were me - I'd cut my losses and get a decent 3rd party router and put the hub in modem mode!

Sanity restored!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
28mbps is way more than required for gaming - even an HD video stream needs less than 5mbps. So speed isn't the issue.

As you say ethernet is the best solution.

My lad is a serious internet gamer who thinks wifi is the work of Satan and should never be used for gaming. Ethernet cabling your devices is always the best way to go, but running cable to his room was problematic. So he uses a pair of Solwise AC1200 powerline adapters. His PC/Xbox/PS3 can now all be "wired" - with short Cat6 cables – back to the wireless router downstairs and he gets a solid 60-70Mbps on our V200 package - he hasn't complained once in years!

Worth considering whether that will work for your house on your mains circuits, the two circuits must go through the same consumer unit/fuse box (most do) and be free of any "noise". You can also add a wifi access point alongside to boost that up there as well.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Kellyw1

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Really sorry to hear of the WiFi issues - fully appreciate the frustration this would cause. 

Have you got a smartphone? If so, please download on it for free, the Virgin Media Connect App and when installed, do a WiFi scan in the property. 

This will scan for things like coverage black spots, coverage areas that need optimising etc. 

I've also ran some checks on here today and can see all your downstream channels are out of spec. This does need an engineer visit to the property to solve. I'll PM you now to get the details from you and book this in

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Kellyw1

Thanks for joining me on PM

Just to update the thread, the visit was booked in. 

This can be tracked and even changed in your online account

Let us know how the visit goes

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill