Menu
neillaw
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

WiFi speed deterioration

So I got VM in Sept last year, it's now July, so it's been 10 months.  The first 6 months I've had no issues whatsoever, but after that the problems have started to creep.  The router is in the living room and my current WiFi speed in the bedroom is 0.25Mbps (yes, a 400th of the apparent speed of my line)

After calling VM they tell me that something must have changed in my house, even though nothing has...  Advising me to buy a WiFi extender.  The bedroom is maybe 10ft away from the router, albeit through the floor, but the fact this worked fine the first 6 months and now doesn't, I don't understand why I would now need to purchase WiFi extender equipment.

Any advise on this?  Been paying 2 months for a 100Mbps line and getting 0.25...

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi speed deterioration

you don;t understand wifi. Its can be effected by external factors as well.
Someone maybe bought a new router, CCTV camera or other device that interferes.

What speeds do you get wired
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

My money is on a cable broadband problem rather than wireless, along with shoddy customer service that is only too happy to announce that any problems the customer has are the wifi, and thus out of VM control. 

Do you have any devices connected to the hub by a network cable that would be able to test the speed at the same time you've got slow wifi

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
neillaw
Joining in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I've no wired devices, seems odd that it used to be fine.

As to my understanding of WiFi from the other poster, I'm simply saying what VM customer service told me, quite unhelpful and irrelevant saying I don't understand WiFi...  All I know is it used to be fine, now it's not.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

that is normal wifi environments can change at any time.
You need to test with a wired connection to see if its a VM connection problem or your wifi.

VM do not guarantee wifi speeds
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

We should at least check that your connection is ok.

Could you access your router using http://192.168.0.1/ . Don't log in, select the 'Check Router Status' option and paste your 'Downstream', 'Upstream', and 'Network Log' tabs?

0 Kudos
neillaw
Joining in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot_2020-07-19-12-34-15-559_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2020-07-19-12-34-19-899_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20**:**:**:**:**:**-829_com.android.chrome.jpg

Hopefully these have worked, there's a lot more on the network log, hard to copy it all on phone

0 Kudos
neillaw
Joining in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I'll try on laptop later if they don't show up

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Don't screen shot it.  The images only have a proportion of the data, and anything with an IP or MAC address won't get approved (like your network log).  Copy and paste as formatted text.

Having said that, previewing your network log before the mods deleted it, it looks (provisionally) as though you may have some serious connection issues.  We'll need to see it all, and the complete set of downstream and upstream data.  If posted as formatted text, the forum software should strip out any personally identifying information.

I assume you've restarted the router, and if that didn't work done a pinhole reset to restore factory settings?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I'll try on laptop later if they don't show up

Does the laptop have an ethernet socket?

0 Kudos