cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi range

PhilRothwell41
Tuning in

I have just doubled my speed but this appears to have no impact on range of coverage and signal is still too weak across much of the house.

9 REPLIES 9

Client62
Legend

No surprise, internet service speed and WiFi coverage range are quite unrelated.

If Customer Support promoted more speed as a fix for WiFi coverage that would be a clear case of misrepresentation.

Have a look at WiFi extenders / repeaters on Argos or Amazon if greater WiFi coverage is needed.

For Gig 1 customers, VM troublesome WiFi Pods are available.  ( these are expensive to rent if you are not a Gig 1 customer )

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi PhilRothwell41, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. 

Can you reboot the hub for us please, I have checked Sam Knwos and the connection is showing all green. 

I can see that the hub has not been rebooted for 9 days. 

How is the service at the moment? ^Chris. 

Do you mean reboot the hub or the pod? 

@Client62 wrote:

No surprise, internet service speed and WiFi coverage range are quite unrelated.

If Customer Support promoted more speed as a fix for WiFi coverage that would be a clear case of misrepresentation.

Have a look at WiFi extenders / repeaters on Argos or Amazon if greater WiFi coverage is needed.

For Gig 1 customers, VM troublesome WiFi Pods are available.  ( these are expensive to rent if you are not a Gig 1 customer )

Sounds like they've spoken to offshore CS - they often tell you a poor connection can be remedied with a speed increase....

They really are plein de merde!!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

@PhilRothwell41 wrote:

Do you mean reboot the hub or the pod? 

Both - to be safe.. but there is no way on earth this will improve coverage (unless by some miracle it starts broadcasting networks on a less congested channel (which I'd assume that the 'smart' 'optimised' WiFi would be trying to do anyway..))

As Client says - If you've been told a speed upgrade will increase range - there is no other way to say it but you've been lied to.. Offshore CS are not averse to this in order to make a sale..

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@PhilRothwell41 wrote:

I have just doubled my speed but this appears to have no impact on range of coverage and signal is still too weak across much of the house.

Why would more speed improve wifi 😱

get a better wifi router with 1Gb port and use hub in modem mode 

---------------------------------------------------------------

@legacy1 wrote:

@PhilRothwell41 wrote:

Why would more speed improve wifi 😱

Because offshore CS are absolute liars and just want a sale.

Why you should use an aftermarket router over the bog standard one.

1. Better performance: Aftermarket routers are often more powerful than the routers provided by ISPs, which can result in better performance and faster internet speeds.

2. More advanced features: Aftermarket routers often come with more advanced features, such as Quality of Service (QoS) settings, which can help prioritize certain types of internet traffic, and VPN support, which can help protect your privacy and security online.

3. Improved security: Aftermarket routers often receive more frequent updates and security patches than routers provided by ISPs, which can help protect your home network from potential vulnerabilities and threats.

4. Customizability: Aftermarket routers often offer more customization options, allowing you to tailor your home network to your specific needs.

Hi PhilRothwell41

Please reboot the hub and kindly let us know if you are still having some issues and we can help further for you. 

Please pop back to us when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide