Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

WiFi dead-spot test recommends Powerline

...but the VM app link to get a booster fails. My service is M100, so unlikely to qualify for a "free" booster from VM anyhow...

Perhaps best to fork out £100 for this kit to rectify. or is this too much?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07349P1TX/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Needs to be able to "extend" WiFi from front of house to very back of house through several brick walls. The sockets in both parts of the house should be on the same ring-main, removing the need to drag cables up through the roof-space with this.

Cannot seem to find the NetGear equivalent, and would like to keep the pass-through sockets (UK 3-pin).

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi dead-spot test recommends Powerline

If you are spending £100 - you should look at getting a wifi router + an access point or a Mesh system.

For example, see the TP-Link M4 (3-pack) is within your budget - see if it is good for your property size/coverage area.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deco-M4-Seamless-Coverage-Replacement/dp/B07NH1J543/

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Lots of options there - the "TP-Link Deco M4 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System" *is* the same price, would improve reception elsewhere in the house, and costs about the same as the point-to-point Powerline I was looking at...  They are quite large, and the smaller flatter model is quite a lot more expensive.

More research required - thank you for the pointer!

This for anyone else looking to see what was hot at what sort of cost in 2019, wiFi V6 seems to be the newest thing, 802.11ax  vs the 'ac' or 'n' versions currently..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Wifi 6 is certainly the way to go if you can afford it.  But you're pretty unlikely to see any benefits over 802.11ac unless you've got a 500 Mbps connection or higher.  My Deco M4 maxes out my 200 Mbps connection over wifi, and when it doesn't it is usually the device that doesn't support the necessary speeds.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Someone reported in another forum earlier today that they got the 2-pack Deco M5's ( the same price as the M4 3-pack) and they set the first unit up and they got full wifi coverage across their house and haven't needed to put the second one on yet !

Depends on your property size/layout/construction materials, etc, (what is it?) but you could try that and even if 2 dont sort it you could add a third at a later date (or even find a cheaper used one from ebay etc)?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

A pack of 2 Deco M5s from Curry's for £99.99, received on Saturday, seems to have done the trick - just one in use has helped immensely, thank you! The current model is V3, and latest firmware was applied to the one in use, the other stays in the box for now. 

I may deploy the other to push signal to furthest bedroom/garage closer to Christmas, assuming we ever get the green light to have family not living in the same household back for holidays and similar!

Thanks, problem, for now, solved. 

Highlighted
Superfast
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I am currently testing the deco S4 set up, which is more or less the same as M4 but a lot shorter in size

I concur the signal and speed from these units so far is flawless.

I easily get 380mbs from my 350 package, all over the house

At £99 they are a bargain

Virgin 350 Hub 3, 3 x V6, 2 x Asus AX56 MESH