forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
Reply
Davymck
  • 3
  • 0
  • 0
Joining in
184 Views
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

WiFi connection

Hi my router is in the front downstairs room, my sons bedroom is at the back of the house upstairs, by the time the internet reaches upstairs it’s not strong enough for my son to play games and do his schooling, constantly lagging and losing connection. 
I have a booster but even with that it’s still poor, 

is there something else I don’t know about that will solve my problem? Thanks 

0 Kudos
Reply
carl_pearce
  • 4.73K
  • 402
  • 706
Superstar
170 Views
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi connection


@Davymck wrote:

Hi my router is in the front downstairs room, my sons bedroom is at the back of the house upstairs, by the time the internet reaches upstairs it’s not strong enough for my son to play games and do his schooling, constantly lagging and losing connection. 
I have a booster but even with that it’s still poor, 

is there something else I don’t know about that will solve my problem? Thanks 


Are you using the wireless or the ethernet from the booster?

0 Kudos
Reply
Davymck
  • 3
  • 0
  • 0
Joining in
159 Views
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi connection

I have the booster exactly half way from router and some bedroom, I thought that would be the best place, but it’s a wireless connection 

0 Kudos
Reply
carl_pearce
  • 4.73K
  • 402
  • 706
Superstar
154 Views
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi connection


@Davymck wrote:

I have the booster exactly half way from router and some bedroom, I thought that would be the best place, but it’s a wireless connection 


Try using the booster closer to the device, and plug it in directly to the booster with an ethernet cable.

I'm assuming you have the older boosters:

0 Kudos
Reply
Davymck
  • 3
  • 0
  • 0
Joining in
141 Views
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi connection

The booster I have isn’t from virgin, are they the best ones to use then ?  I will try what you said and hardwire it with Ethernet cable, appreciate it 👍

0 Kudos
Reply
carl_pearce
  • 4.73K
  • 402
  • 706
Superstar
137 Views
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi connection


@Davymck wrote:

The booster I have isn’t from virgin, are they the best ones to use then ?  I will try what you said and hardwire it with Ethernet cable, appreciate it 👍


Which ones do you have? They may not be powerline ones?

The VM ones are just rebranded/flashed Netgear kit.

The powerline adapters should still work further away from the vicinity of the HUB and a wired connection, even over powerlines, should be more consistent.

You've got nothing to lose trying it as you can always move it back!

0 Kudos
Reply