Menu
ARJ2000
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Wi-fi booster, will it work?

I pay for 100 Mbps but typically get speeds of 8-9 Mbps. For me browsing it is just about ok but for my wife using a VPN connection in a back bed-room, it is pitiful and keeps dropping out. The "app" can't even detect a wi-fi signal in that room. So I've ordered a Virgin wi-fi booster, it's on its way - do they work? Anyone got good experiences with them? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Sambathedog2020
Dialled in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wi-fi booster, will it work?

Hi ARJ2000

We have blue brick and have used plug in wifi extenders and they do work and since installing them have had no problems and have used them on other providers as well.

Hope they work for you too if they don't you might need to get a router to get you the speed.

Hope this helps>
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.  Depends on the mains wiring layout.  Whilst not an absolute rule, it is generally true that the two plug in units need to be on the same electrical circuit, and to be plugged directly into a wall socket, not an extension lead.  If you meet the technical needs of the device it should work fine.

But when you say you typically get speeds of 8-9 Mbps, where and on what device?  With speeds that low it suggests to me that you have either got chronically poorly setup wifi, or your cable connection is faulty.  If there's a cable problem, the booster may lift the wireless reception in the back room but won't improve those speeds.  Go to the hub's login page and click "Check router status" from the log in screen (no need to actually log in).  That will produce a window with five status tabs.  Copy and paste the contents of the three tabs titled Downstream, Upstream and Network log in replies here (as text, not screenshots) and we can check for any obvious cable problems.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Be aware that new boosters are now currently only supplied free if you are on the 1GB service or else have the Hub4. if so they are worth trying. If not, they will add a £3/mo charge and they are poor value. The maths say you would be far better cancelling those and putting those monies towards sourcing your own better quality, wireless equipment with the Hub in modem mode. But as you have them on their way see if the do anything for you - if not return within 14 days.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
ARJ2000
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andruser. How do I find the hub's log-in page?

Thanks.

0 Kudos