cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-fi Extender or Mesh?

Artemis1
Joining in

I have a hub3 router in the lounge and get 120mbs download speed. In my office across the hall the wi-fi speed can vary a lot between 10mbps and 120mbps. Would a wi-fi extender or Mesh give me a more constant download speed in my office. I have read that an extender may run at below half the speed of the router

4 REPLIES 4

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Artemis1, thanks for the message and welcome back to the forums. 

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with the speed, have you looked into getting some of our WIFI pods, 

Mesh systems are better than extender, please let us know if we can be of any assistance, 

Chris. 

Thanks for your response. Can I ask are the Pods a mesh system or extenders?  What impact do they have on speeds? As I said I get over 130mbps in the room where my router is. But in my office it fluctuates between 10mbps to 130mbs

@Artemis1 wrote:

Thanks for your response. Can I ask are the Pods a mesh system or extenders?  What impact do they have on speeds? As I said I get over 130mbps in the room where my router is. But in my office it fluctuates between 10mbps to 130mbs

The pods are extenders, designed to repeat a good signal. depending on where they are placed they should increase the available speed further from the HUB. I believe they can act as a mesh system when you have more than one of them.

Personally I would buy a mesh system instead of spending £8/month on a pod.

The Pods provide a mesh system and so are not range extenders. However they are only dual band, so not especially powerful, and too expensive if you are shelling out £8pm.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection