Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Why will only one off my devices reach the full potential download speed

Why will the first device I connect to my hub go to the full download speed 100mbs and every other device connected after that is limited to 50 mbs is this normal you can only have one device use the full download speed and every other connected after that is limited to 50 mbs thanks peeps

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why will only one off my devices reach the full potential download speed

That's because your 100Mbps download is shared with all your connected devices, both wired and wireless.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

But it's not taking anything off my first device when I do a speed test just the other 3 devices. after I do a reboot on the hub 3.0 it always seems to be the first device you connect will only reach the full 100mbs after that every other device is limited to 50mbs. even when the other devices are being used my device the first one to be connect to the hub will still reach 100mbs while the others 50mbs so I cant see how it Is sharing because if that was the case the more I connected the lower the speed will go do you get what I mean

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It depends on how you use your broadband. If you connect one device which downloads at 100Mbps and then a second device at the same speed the network switch will deliver reduced speeds to both devices as you cannot get a quart out of a pint pot. However what usually happens is that either one or both devices are not utilising the full bandwidth so you don't see the full effect of the reduced speeds. You do also have to be measuring the speeds of both devices accurately to know what's happening.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I just used the speed test you have suggested or showed me the outcome of your test. I turned my first device I connected to the hub and 3rd and 4th I run a speed test with only my 2 device connected to the hub and it's still spiking out at 50 then turned off 2nd 3rd & 4th then run the speed test on device 1 first one connected and that one spiked out at 112mbs its mind boggling on one device reaching it's full potential when all the others are disconnected. I have tried them all individually using ookla speed test with only one device connected at a time and it's the same result with all others switched off the first device connected is the only one that will reach the full potential. Try it rebooting your hub if you have more then one device and I bet the first device you connect will only ever reach the full potential if you try the others you have connected after the first device with only one device connected at a time.

0 Kudos