Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Why is cancellation so difficult?

Since joining VM in May, I have experienced an average of 20mbps internet every day (paying for 100). Seven engineer appointments later and a written complaint and I am facing a wall of opposition when I try to leave on the basis of the speed policy. 

I have been advised I need to have three engineer visits in a month in order to be able to cancel (tick, although this isn't stated in the speed policy), I have had cables replaced coming into my property with still no improvement (even the engineer on the day said there is nothing else they can do). Yet still I am told I need another engineer to come over so I can cancel because the word of the last engineer isn't enough?!

This policy is outrageous and I can't even seem to get this organised because I get disconnected from conversations when trying to organise a visit. I have been trying to organise leaving VM every day for a week and the cancellations team is being extremely obstructive. 

I am totally done with VM. How can I make leaving a reality?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is cancellation so difficult?

Tricky one.
Firstly, are you saying the speeds on a computer/laptop connected directly into the Hub when its in modem mode by Cat5e ethernet cable are consistently only 20Mbps? Or is that on just wifi connections?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

This is over wifi. 

VM have acknowledged there is an issue, of which I'm painfully aware and have been since May. It's a whole property problem (one house, split into 5 flats, 3 on VM, all have problems). Unfortunately, the system round here is just not fit for purpose. 

However it's the obstructiveness when trying to leave which is so infuriating and I thought something was put in place to stop companies from making leaving so difficult?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It's tricky because VM (and all other ISP's) do NOT guarantee speeds over wifi. Their (e.g BT) glossy ads may say they do, but they always are by supplying additional equipment and often an extra charge - and if it doesn't work (some guarantee eh) you get the money back. And its clearly stated as such in the T&C's of your contract.

So if you leave in contract you "will" be subject to cancellation fees unless you can prove that the problems have been because "speeds delivered to the Hub"  (that is on ethernet cable connected devices) have not met the guarantee.   It could be true of course but you have no evidence of that.  It is possible to get that (if its the case of course), but it will take time for you to gather it.

But if its wifi only issue then in a property of that type/size - I would say the best way to cure that is to invest in some decent wireless equipment of your own (e.g. a Mesh System) and fix it once and for all - probably cheaper than early exit fees and yours to keep forever.   I and many others on here did that many years ago and I have never had a single wifi internet related issue

If you are committed to leaving on that basis and taking your chance that another ISP can sort it cheaply this is the process...

Either

1. Call 150 from a VM phone or by dialling 0345 454 1111 from any phone - they are still picking up - calling at 08.00 is the best time

2. In writing to Virgin Media Sales Operation Support, Diamond Plaza, Daleside Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG2 3GG. Include name address and all account details.

Do it by registered mail with a receipt for signature on arrival.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

But sadly that's just it. Every engineer that's come to my property has said it's too slow and they leave saying they can't do anything about it. That I can accept, fine. 

But please Virgin Media, just let me leave without getting another person over to say the same thing! It's endless obstructions. They're doing a very good job of leaving me extremely frustrated and wondering whether the time I put in to leaving is even worth it. 

I'd love it if I got through on the phone but sadly I never do. 1.5hrs I've been on hold with no joy and well, I don't have time for that. 

They need to make this easier as there are directives from Ofcom that state it shouldn't be made any more difficult to leave than it is to join and customers shouldn't face obstructions the disincentives them from leaving because the effort isn't worth it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cancel by letter.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos