cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Gig1 speeds not consistent enough

james1986123
Tuning in

I manage to fix the issue with only hitting 300mb (a full pin reboot of the hub 4 fixed that)

speedtest.net

samknowsrealspeed both come back at around 945mb download

but the problem is why is it not consistent enough

for example

I went to download a game from steam last night about 45gb in size, when the download started it was great getting around 110mb/sec but everytime after a few mins it goes down to about 54mb/sec what could be causing this?

8 REPLIES 8

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The download speeds indicated by games servers are not accurate, and in any case they vary according to how many users are being served at the time. 

The Samknows test shows you have a good connection. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Capture.PNG

I see Jpeg so is there anything here that looks unusual?

It will be some time before your image is clear by moderators.  No doubt someone will comment when it appears. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Upload speed is low, should be nearer 50.

Can you upload the stats from the router?

here is some pics showing info

cable.PNGdownstream.PNGgeneral config.PNGupstream.PNG

Power on 3.0 download channels is low but within spec.

Upload is a touch high but within spec.

SNR is a little low.

You missed the part of the data that looks like this.... 

3.1 Downstream channels

Channel Channel Width (MHz) FFT Type Number of Active Subcarriers Modulation (Active Profile) First Active Subcarrier (Hz)

159964K1880QAM4096728

3.1 Downstream channels

Channel ID Lock Status RxMER Data (dB) PLC Power (dBmV) Correcteds (Active Profile) Uncorrectables (Active Profile)

159Locked432.124121486310

Stobbsy74
Superfast

You have to be careful of sites that show download speeds in general. In the short time I've had my 1 gig I've noticed that some sites use mega bits per sec and some use mega bytes per second.

The other day I was downloading at 110 and thought, omg thats slow, then I realised it was in mega bytes per second. Converted to megabit its around 880 megabits per sec.

You would of thought all these companies would use the same standard unit to measure speed. Then again I suppose its the same un the real world with mph, km/h, meters per second and light years.

Docsis is the bottleneck your can't hit 1Gb all the time.
---------------------------------------------------------------