cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is 1gig upload speed nowhere near the dl speed?

revat6
Joining in

In other countires, the download speed and upload speed are basically the same, or not far of.

Here with virgin yes they have decent download speed on the 1gig plan but why is the upload nowhere near the download does anybody know?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

cje85
Trouble shooter

The technology Virgin uses was designed for cable TV so there was little consideration given to upstream bandwidth. As they move away from DOCSIS over the coming years there will be more opportunity to boost upload speeds and perhaps even offer symmetrical speeds like other providers.

Client62
Legend

In all countries where CATV / DOCSIS 3.0 + 3.1 are being used similar internet limitations exist.

The next generation of VM network will be XGS-PON this is capable of equal speed connections, but as one can imagine this is going to be a rollout that takes 5 years to complete. it also requires VM to offer internet products with equal bandwidth in the up & down streams.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Client62 wrote:

<snip>   it also requires VM to offer internet products with equal bandwidth in the up & down streams.

nextfibre (Liberty Global / VMO2) has just bought Upp, a FTTP supplier in the East of England.  Interestingly it seem current Upp customers enjoy a fixed price during minimum contract term and symmetrical speeds. 

I would love to see if this will be kept on when the new owners take over ........

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks