Menu
johnmck
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Why don't Virgin offer 'x' mbs for 'x' pounds per month?

I joined virgin 2 years ago, mainly for the broadband. I was with BT with a speed of 70mbs (on a good day). When I joined virgin, my speed went up to 350mbs. Last year, when I renewed I got an offer for 500mbs but had to take a mobile sim I didn't want. Anyway, my contract is up, I cancelled the sim (that I didn't want), I cancelled sports channels (that I didn't want) I cancelled movies channels (that I didn't want) and kids channels (that I didn't want). The end result is they put my speed down to 100mbs. The only offer on the table is upping speed to 350mbs for an extra £7 a month, that offer is ok and that speed is fast enough....but, you know what us men are like, we always want faster. If they can up my speed to 350mps for £7 a month, why can't they up it back to 500mbs for a fee without all the extra channels or mobile I don't want or need. It seems a crazy marketing ploy that someone is willing to hand over money for one of their products, but they don't want it?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why don't Virgin offer 'x' mbs for 'x' pounds per month?

They can, however they are just trying to upsell.

There is no tie between 500Mbps and requiring other facilities. Clearly stated on their website:

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/broadband-only 

0 Kudos
johnmck
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I wanted fast broadband (500mbs) and the basic tv channels, I would pay a premium for fast broadband, but they wont sell it to me they said I 'had' to take all the premium tv channels and mobile sim; I declined. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy with 350, would just prefer 500. Oh well, maybe next year, but thanks for the link. I might go back to sky next year for the tv and get a broadband only connection with virgin. Tks
0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

By next year you might find that BT are offering 1GB packages considering the amount of fibre they are throwing around now. 

At the moment, our road has been dug up by BT, Virgin, City Fibre, and VX Fibre, so I expect some competition next year. The last time are most likely wholesale providers but it will be interesting to see who decides to use them. 

0 Kudos