Menu
ST6
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Why do we get a 6mb upload speed cap?

Topic says it all really. We're on the M100 Fibre broadband package, along with TV and phone etc.

Upload speed is CAPPED at 6mb. Why is this? Even the virgin website says you should get up to 10mb upload with that package.

My friend, who literally lives around the corner is on just the M100 Fibre with no TV and no phone line. He consistently gets 10mb upload. 

My other friend literally lives across the road from us and is actually a virgin media engineer that installs it in homes also said he doesn't know why this is happening.

Exactly why are we capped at 6mb upload? Anyone know the real answer for this please?

As for the green box thing on the street that provides it to the houses, that's directly next to our house on our corner, whether that should make a difference. Not sure it should tbh.

0 Kudos
Kippies
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why do we get a 6mb upload speed cap?

Your upstream is not being capped.

How are you measuring it?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ST6
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 27
Flag for a moderator

How am I measuring it? How many ways is there to measure? I've done numerous speed tests with multiple software, I've uploaded things to test it, it's capped at 6mb. 

Even the guy in Retention that I spoke to the other day because we're giving SERIOUS consideration to leaving VM said himself that it's capped at 6mb. And it does actually never go above 6mb so if that's not capped then what is it?

Kippies
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Broken?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
ST6
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Just to add to that, he said the only way to raise the upload speed would require a faster broadband package. Which would then require the latest hub being sent out. But then said the hub isn't causing our upload speed being capped at 6mb so going to the new hub from this old V2 hub, which doesn't even support the app, wouldn't make a difference anyway.

What gives?

Someone somewhere either doesn't know what they're talking about or are, and forgive me for this, full of it.

And why are we stuck with this old V2 hub that doesn't even support the app anyway. And what's with virgin media's refusal to send us the latest hub that supports the app? Other people paying less on smaller packages using the same speed get it.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Can you carry out a couple of speed tests at speedtest.net using a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other items connected.

Then post the results on here.

And then ...

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter.  When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’. Copy and paste the contents of the Configuration tab onto here, a Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Kippies
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 27
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Could also be another of VM's presents for long standing customers.

Do you know were you originally on the 50 Tier and got a free upgrade to 100Mbps?

If you post the details asked for by @MikeRobbo  we can likely check your provisioning, which will tell us.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 27
Flag for a moderator

If you are capped to the old 6mb upload speed it will be shown in your configuration file.
Go into the Hub settings and go to the "config file" page and look in the "max upload transfer rate" (or similar) box and see what the bytes are set to max out at.

Post the number here.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 27
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:
If you are capped to the old 6mb upload speed it will be shown in your configuration file.
Go into the Hub settings and go to the "config file" page and look in the "max upload transfer rate" (or similar) box and see what the bytes are set to max out at.

Post the number here.

This is mine....  for the 20mbps upload "cap"

Screenshot 2020-03-14 at 17.38.41.png

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
MrHalfAsleep
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I had the SH1 and was bumped up from 50 to 70 to 100Mb.   I was getting really low speeds as mentioned here. An upgrade to the SH3 sorted it out; I took advantage of a free upgrade.  Your max traffic rate should read 10500047 if it's 10Mb.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π