cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do VMO2 over-provision speed?

Keezza
On our wavelength

New customer here, getting M350 installed soon..

they say I can expect speed up to like 380.

What’s the reasoning behind them going higher than the 350 subscribed or for example the gig1 package is actually 1152 or something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In a word, OFCOM.

It is a way of ensuring that the vast majority of people paying for that speed are actually getting it. If you were paying for 100Mb & VM capped it at 100Mb, any link in the chain not operating absolutely to spec would result in you getting less than you are paying for.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In a word, OFCOM.

It is a way of ensuring that the vast majority of people paying for that speed are actually getting it. If you were paying for 100Mb & VM capped it at 100Mb, any link in the chain not operating absolutely to spec would result in you getting less than you are paying for.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Overprovisioning is done to manage network overload so that when demand increases the network is still able to cope and causes fewer customer complaints. VM has an "advertised speed" for each speed service, and for M350 it is 362Mbps which, with overprovisioning, results in an expected speed range of 368-381Mbps. However VM also has a minimum guaranteed download speed of 50% of advertised speed, i.e. 181Mbps, meaning that EDF is waived if speeds fall below this level for three consecutive days and VM is unable to fix the problem within 30 days.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection