cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I have to keep restarting my router to get my full speed?

2323r4rft
Tuning in

Hi,

Every week I'm having to restart  my virgin router in order to get the full speed I'm paying for. It dwindles down to 30 Mbps when it should be 250 (I use FAST to check). On a restart, its back to what it should be and connections don't drop off, but this is a weekly occurrence. I had this issue with my last Virgin router, I've since upgraded to their latest one and the same thing is happening.

Before calling support I thought I'd ask here if anyone else experiences this, I doubt Virgin support will know the answer to this, as they usually tell you to reset the router.. which is what I'm doing! 

Is this a Virgin bottle neck issue, cache issue on the router (weird given its their latest, you'd think this would have been resolved) or are they reducing it down intentionally and only on a new connection am I getting it back to where it should be?

Appreciate any knowledge.
Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try a 60 second factory pinhole reset as below;
Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

Then after a 24 hours period, post the power levels, Pre and PostRS errors and network log from the Hub. Also setup a BQM to monitor your circuit www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Once done we can comment.

VM will always ask users to reboot the Hub on a regular basis as a matter of good housekeeping btw,

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi 2323r4rft, thanks for reaching out on our help forum about this issue. 

We'd love to help, we can see the hub is switched to modem mode so could you please advise if you've been using any 3rd party equipment while running tests / experiencing this speed slowdown and have you tried to monitor the connection while the hub is on router mode with all 3rd party devices disconnected, to see if this makes a difference?

We would also like to advise on the broadband speed guarantee, please check here based on your speed tier and let us know if your speed falls below the minimum.
Please, pop us a message and let us know if the above has helped and if you have any updates about this.

Here to help if you still need us.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi, 

Yes its in modem mode and then connected into a google nest mesh to extend the wifi signal, I then have that passed to a switch for all cable connections. 
Do Virgin modems not work efficiently in modem mode? Or are you suggesting the google mesh is the reason for the constant speed drop and need to reset?

Thanks

To best understand where the issues may lay @2323r4rft, are you able to run a test on the hub while in router mode and let us know if the issue persists?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

2323r4rft
Tuning in

Just to circle back around to this. Removing the google nest mesh extenders resolved the issue. 😕 Not sure if they are not that compatible with the router, or they're just not that good. Problem resolved. 

Hi 2323r4rft,

Thank you for the update, glad to hear after removing your Google mesh system your issue is now resolved, if you need any further support please do not hesitate to reach back out. 

Regards

Paul.