Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Where did my speed go waatch

Hi all

This is both a question and I hope an answer to a very annoying problem I have had 200mbs service since day one and its always been really good then a few months ago it dropped I suspect  around March and it halved I normally get 225.mbs and thats a solid connection with a 20mbs upload which is what I wanted. It dropped to 90mbs download remained the same. As we all know everything went south in March due to Covid and getting a response from Virgin was not easy anyway lets run this ahead to now a week ago I got a helpful person on 151 and they ran all the way down the normal tests and then they asked what means of connection I used I use both Main system is hardwired toys are both they asked me what type of cable I was useing I used cat 5 as I have for years they said thats the problem you need at least cat6 and a router and network connection which can handle a gigabyte connection. This shocked me as I have been useing cat 5 with the 200mbs service for years they said yes but we have changed how we are sending the signals. I was not happy and told them so they sent me a 2mts cat 6 cable I needed 20 meters never mind. So I have upgraded my cat 5 cable to a cat 7 one and bingo I have my full service back a solid 221.25mbs and a .12 ping  So when did Virgin write to us or email us that we needed these upgrades so far no response lets see what this does   

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Where did my speed go waatch

Hello

The specifications for Cat 5 is 100mbps but shorter cables may work faster but could fail at faster speeds without warning, the minimum requirement for 1gbps Ethernet is Cat 5e. It has nothing to do with Virginmedia these are the standards of Ethernet, you can see these at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable for more information.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Despite what you've been told, nothing VM have done would make any difference to the speed you get over ethernet.  A more likely explanation given the events you describe is that your old cable started playing up (they do last a long time, but not all of them last forever), and that caused the hub or device to throttle back to 100 Mbps.  Replacing with a newer cable to a higher standard has enabled the hub to go back to the previous higher speeds.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike
Sorry I missed the e of the end I'm old I forget sometime these cables where working fine for 3 years it only failed in about march and the information about the change came from Virgin
regards
Richard
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello Richard

Yep I am old too, from what you have said looks like one of the cable pairs has failed, there are 4 pairs in each cable all 4 are required to get 1gbps otherwise will revert back to 100gbps, nothing that Virginmedia could have done would have caused that problem sounds to me look like they just fobbed you off.

Regards Mike

Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike
Sounds like it now they have a problem as I'm old with lots of time on my hands and don't like smoke being blown into unwelcome areas especially when it means that I have to expend time and money changing a lot of things when only one needed doing
cheers
Richard
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello @Tanker12UK 

Pretty much the same for me lots of time on my hands and a lot of that is spent here helping other Virginmedia customers, always one of the best option is that if you need  help then by all means come on back to the forum we do have a great bunch of Virginmedia forum staff, VIPs (special title given by VM to customers who have been very helpful to customer) and of course other customers.

I have been in IT for a long time and work on the principle of "Keep it Simple .....).

Regards Mike

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hey there Tanker12UK,

Thanks for posting and pleased to hear that you have your speeds back after a cable change. I've had a quick peek at your details using the information we have on here and can confirm that everything looks fine. 

Do tell us if you have anymore issues so we can take another look for you.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos