Menu
adp1983
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

What is the point of 1GB Fibre?

* EDITED: Sorry miss-typed speeds!!! Amended Below!

What a waste of time upgrading to Gig1 Fibre!

Since I set up the Hub 4 and it has been activated I have struggled to get anywhere near the speeds advertised, be it by WiFi or direct ethernet connection.

Previously I was on 350 and was getting good speeds across my various devices yet on the new 1GB connection I'm struggling to get anything above 60 mbps WiFi and 200 mbps via ethernet!

Virgin claim that there is no issue as on the sam knows website it shows the speed to my Virgin hub to always be around 1074 - Yet no matter what device I use to test I hardly ever get above 200!

Now before I get the usual comments about Certain devices can only get certain speeds anyway and it depends upon wifi interference etc etc...... I have already tried a direct ethernet connection to the Hub 4.0 with nothing else at all connected by WiFi or ethernet, so literally the only device connected when I ran the test was my Windows Laptop - Result of this was 231 mbps. When all devices are connected it's almost impossible to do anything and Netflix takes forever to buffer before starting to play (Which it has never done before - EVER!). In fact I can stream on my EE 4G quicker!

On my previous 350 connection and Hub 3.0 I would get almost 4 times this speed as standard with everything connected.

It's so frustrating because I'm paying a hell of a lot more for the super fast 1GB but getting slower speeds than 1) Advertised and 2) I got on the smaller package!

With Virgin constantly telling me there is nothing wrong, where do is stand because at the minute I'm prepared to just cancel and have all Virgin services removed as I'm sick of being passed around and being told nothing is wrong.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: What is the point of 1GB Fibre?

Could you create a BQM here, and post back the results tomorrow?

It will show us if there is an issue with your line.

It may also be worth posting your 'Upstream', 'Downstream', and 'Network log' tab data from your HUB under Advanced Settings/Tools/Network Status.

0 Kudos
jhuk
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I feel the HUB4 can act up on the outbound side part time so the SamKnows App IMO is 💩.

I have shown screenies of me getting far higher speeds to PC from HUB than HUB gets from VM.

I have had speed of 1099Mb/s to HUB and 940Mb+ to PC and that is great, then a min or so later in multiple test runs I get 80-130Mb/s to HUB4 and 300-500Mb/s to PC and then 900Mb+ to HUB4 and 30-500Mb/s to PC.

I can test my LAN between the PC and NV Shield TV and it will run full speed every time so it is not my NIC or cables.

I think it runs too hot but no real proof but hey it did not reboot itself last night between 12-2am so that is rarity in the less that 2 weeks I have had it.

Added to the fact the guy on the online chat who "sold" me it told me a of of BS (I knew so and not naive) and never sorted my account/deal out so I called Retention's after I got email with wrong deal etc and they were to phone me back on the day I set up the HUB4 (said it was very important to do so when it was installed and activated).

That will be 2 week this Fri and no phone-call so my account is probably not right but I do not really care as they can keep hanging themselves and I will give them more rope.

0 Kudos
jhuk
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

2020-08-23 (6).png

2020-08-24.png

Yet a test to a server over 400miles away:

Annotation 2020-08-24 042819.png

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Test your speed in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
jhuk
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

CBA messing with it and all my WIFI devices inc cameras going down

I jinxed it reading the thread bellow as it rebooted again 12-2am and I was on these mentioned speeds :

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/INTERNET-GOING-OFF-EVERY-NIGHT/m-p/4381170#...

If I thought a Asus Router/Mesh AX kit would fix it I would buy one right now on Amazon but I do not really need max WIFI speed and that is what they are about and they only if the HUB4 modem side is partly to blame it will not fix anything.

Added to fact due to cost I would want use it a good few years and the fact you loose the fastest port to connect to the HUB4 (even if HUB4/HUB4ax/HUB5 was 2.5Gb) that would only leave 1Gb/s ports to the PC which in future would be pointless.

71ehY9jQJYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

0 Kudos
adp1983
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

These are the speed results from today:

WiFi

Annotation 2020-08-25 094341.png

Ethernet
Ethernet.png

0 Kudos
jhuk
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You will be told the HUB4 is getting full speed but your PC is not so that is to blame.

Now I cannot talk for you but I can test this and show the exact opposite results as you can see above so again I feel the HUB4 is acting up at times on the Inbound and/Outbound side.

0 Kudos
adp1983
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So this is still an ongoing issue!

Have spoken to Virgin again and they are adamant that nothing is wrong - And you were correct They claim that it is my Computer and devices.

My only concern with this is that before I upgraded to 1GB I got far faster speeds when I was on BB 350! so how can it be my devices?

0 Kudos
jhuk
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have more screenies even worse than before and at times HUB4 seem to act up my BQM is a bit messy where as its normally good.

I still have not received my phone call from VM lol.

Look at mess during night when it normally reboots itself most nights (12-2am) and look at it right now, nice looking.

I would say issues in my area.

Annotation 2020-08-31 142229.png

Test bellow was 1044Mb/s to HUB4 but fell just before it ended and to PC is not my best result but again I blame the HUB4 not my PC.

I can rerun it seconds apart and get vastly different results.

Annotation 2020-08-31 142250.png

0 Kudos