Menu
Toby61
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What is the max non wired connection speed of superhub 2

Wondering why I get speed test of 200mbs + when connected with ethernet cable to devices but 50 mbs max over wi-fi with any device, even if I'm a few feet away from the router. 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: What is the max non wired connection speed of superhub 2

Hello

Wireless can be affected by interference also will depnd on what wireless freq you are connecting too i.e. 2.4Ghz has the greatest range but is the slowest, where 5Ghz is the fastest and doesnt have quite the same range.

It will also depend on what the device is capable of handling mostly even close to my router I get around 50mbps on 2.4Ghz and 150+mbps when on 5Ghz.

Have a  look at https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Digital-life/WiFi-Wins/ba-p/3958523 for further Troubleshooting.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Toby61
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike, appreciate your help.  My device has Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, so don't understand why I can't get a WiFi signal greater than 50mbs on 5ghz at any any time even when I'm next to the router. I don't think my device is the issue (I've tried with my son's iPhone 10 too), no  obvious interference (baby monitors etc) in my house. I tried some different 5ghz channels but same result. Could the router not allow WiFi greater than 50mps? Thinking of trying a mesh system to improve WiFi all over the house

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What devices are you Speedtesting with?

What are wired speeds like?

Have you tried disabling the “smart” WiFi and splitting the WiFi bands?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Toby61
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So now I've bought a cheap mesh system and plugged it into my router so it handles the WiFi. I now get 150mbps + on speed tests when connecting to my WiFi with my phone. Does this mean my superhub 2 is faulty if I could couldn't get speeds greater than 50mbps with it?

0 Kudos
Toby61
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Should have said I was definitely connecting to 5ghz before with the superhub 2 WiFi not 2.4ghz. Thanks

0 Kudos
jhuk
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Is it deff the original SH2 (Wireless N)  or newer SH2ac version?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No it means your virgin hub has poor WiFi, much like the recent iterations of it. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi