Menu
jk001d7182
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

We've spotted a way to improve your WiFi

When running the Broadband test from the service status link in my Virgin media account page I get the following result. I'm connected via ethernet and my Suberhub 3 is in modem only mode.

Also getting pretty poor connectivity today, hence the reason for running the test

Screenshot 2020-12-21 at 21.58.18.png

Screenshot 2020-12-21 at 22.06.50.png

0 Kudos
jk001d7182
Tuning in
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: We've spotted a way to improve your WiFi

And today it gets worse

2020-12-22 211445.jpg

0 Kudos
jk001d7182
Tuning in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

the previous post's image did not appear for some reason

Screenshot 2020-12-23 at 07.26.40.png

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I am afraid that the image has been rejected as it shows an external domain name which gets to a login in page for a NAS. Can you please edit the image before posting as it is against the forum rules to include personal information in a public forum.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jk001d7182
Tuning in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

issues affecting skype/calls VPN connectivity etc.., getting worse

latest issues.png

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Not looking great - but can you post up some more detail.

You are in modem mode - with what router and wireless equipment? Also can you describe what you mean by "poor connectivity" - drop outs, speeds, both?

And also do you get these issues on devices connected on good quality ethernet cables at the same time as any wifi issues ? And is it just Skype calls and are those on a VPN ?

What are the Hub lights showing when you have the issues?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jk001d7182
Tuning in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

What I mean, by very poor performance with any type of network traffic,e.g. streaming services such as Netflix, Disney, Amazon, Youtube all hanging intermittently. Connection to work VPN dropping out (none of my work colleagues affected), sounding like a Dalek or calls disconnecting in Teams or Skype, again none of my colleagues affected.

The Superhub 3 is in Modem only mode connected to a Netgear R9000 (one of the few home routers at the time of purchase that had ethernet link aggregation for use with a NAS), most devices connected via Ethernet (good quality cat 6 cables) or using powerline adapters againe using good quality ethernet cables (Solwise PL-1200AV2-PIGGY 1200AV SmartLink PowerLine HomePlug AV2).

All connectivity options wi-fi, ethernet direct to router or powerline  adapters affected

0 Kudos
Cheesewheel
Tuning in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I get this message too when I do a service test on the VirginMedia website, and my SuperHub 3 (I can't call it a superhub 3 I got reprimanded by Technical support for calling it that! LOL!).   I did have an Apple Airport Extreme Router connected, but switched to an Asus ZenWiFi 6600AX mesh Router system a few days ago and still get erratic speeds and disconnects, Have you got the "RED Light Of Death" on the front of your Hub 3?  I have, ever since I had my SuperHub 3, sorry my Hub 3, its been in "Modem Mode" and the light on the front has always been a Purple/Magenta colour, and I've never had any problems with it until now, according to the "What the lights mean on the Hub 3" section on Virgin's own website states that a "RED Light means that there is a fault  a you should contact VirginMedia Customer Service. I did this and the guy from Technical Support said the RED Light is nothing to worry about and is normal when using "modem mode" .  This is total BS as it clearly states in the HUB 3 manual that the RED Light means a fault with the HUB 3 has occurred, either though overheating or other issues. I have reported the matter to Virgin via their complaints section in the hope that they will replace my HUB 3, but I'm going to have to wait up to 28 days before they resolve it.

Sorry for the rant, and I wish you the best of luck getting it sorted.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@Cheesewheel wrote:

I get this message too when I do a service test on the VirginMedia website, and my SuperHub 3 (I can't call it a superhub 3 I got reprimanded by Technical support for calling it that! LOL!).   I did have an Apple Airport Extreme Router connected, but switched to an Asus ZenWiFi 6600AX mesh Router system a few days ago and still get erratic speeds and disconnects, Have you got the "RED Light Of Death" on the front of your Hub 3?  I have, ever since I had my SuperHub 3, sorry my Hub 3, its been in "Modem Mode" and the light on the front has always been a Purple/Magenta colour, and I've never had any problems with it until now, according to the "What the lights mean on the Hub 3" section on Virgin's own website states that a "RED Light means that there is a fault  a you should contact VirginMedia Customer Service. I did this and the guy from Technical Support said the RED Light is nothing to worry about and is normal when using "modem mode" .  This is total BS as it clearly states in the HUB 3 manual that the RED Light means a fault with the HUB 3 has occurred, either though overheating or other issues. I have reported the matter to Virgin via their complaints section in the hope that they will replace my HUB 3, but I'm going to have to wait up to 28 days before they resolve it.

Sorry for the rant, and I wish you the best of luck getting it sorted.

you need to do some more reading - a red light is as you say a symptom of over heating - you need to check that when the hub is in router mode - if its white/cream then its not over heating

go to modem mode and the light is red - VM say magenta afaik - but thats red or near enough - so not BS 

Tony
0 Kudos
Cheesewheel
Tuning in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

When I put my Hub 3 into "Router Mode" the light is White/Cream, But as I have stated I have had this hub for a few years now and I can confirm that I am not colour blind and the light on the front of the Hub 3 has always been a pinkish magenta colour, NOT PILLAR BOX RED as it is now, I am a wheelchair user  and the hub is on a shelf next my tv so that I can reach it should it crap out and need resetting, and is not covered up by anything, so overheating is not an issue here. Why do people disbelieve me when I say that the light was a Pink/Magenta colour? 

Ok so if I'm in "Router Mode" and the light goes Red, that delineates a fault, Yes?  Ok now I'm in "Modem Mode" what colour does the light go when there is a fault in this mode? and how would you diagnose a fault in "Modem Mode"? If "Modem Mode" and a Hub Fault light are the same colour?  other than getting a crap connection?

0 Kudos