Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Virgin wifi defaulting to our previous Sky wifi

We switched from Sky to Virgin Media about a month ago and all the sky equipment ahs been disconnected and is in a box in the loft.  However, whenever the VM wifi cuts out or the Hub has to be rebooted, the wifi on our devices (iPhone, iPad etc) reverts to the Sky wifi that we used to have, or at least that is what it shows up as.  The download speed shown is intermediate between the Sky that we had (~ 14 Mbits) and the Virgin (108 Mbits) and the upload speed is also in between (Sky 1.0 Mbits, Virgin 10 Mbits).

The second issue we have is that our Apple devices are saying that the Virgin Wifi has weak security (WPA2 (TKIP) and that the router should be configured to use (WPA2 (AES) or WPA3.  Should we be concerned about this and if so, is it possible to change it in our router settings, and how?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin wifi defaulting to our previous Sky wifi

As far as the WiFi security issue see this:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/iOS-14-Weak-Security/td-p/4478034

Most equipment has the option to "forget" an unwanted connection. Have you tried using this.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for that and most helpful.  I have changed the security settings and the 'Weak Security' warning has gone away.

Re the Sky wifi, we have clicked on Forget many times but it persists and defaults back in any time the Virgin wifi is down.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

impossible. If you have unplugged the old router there is no connection for it to default back to.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Are you sure that's your old Sky SSID that you are seeing and not your neighbours?

If its the same SSID name - is there any equipment plugged in from the Sky days? Boosters, Home Hubs etc?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@RonD1 wrote:

Many thanks for that and most helpful.  I have changed the security settings and the 'Weak Security' warning has gone away.

Re the Sky wifi, we have clicked on Forget many times but it persists and defaults back in any time the Virgin wifi is down.

Maybe a rogue wifi booster somewhere you haven't reconfigured?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi John

Yes, I know it is our old Sky wifi name because it I named it uniquely when I split the % and 2.4 GHz signals.

It has been suggested to me that although it should not happen, one of our devices with the Sky wifi details managed to write it onto the Virgin Hub, so it shows up as Sky although it is actually the VM wifi.  But why the speed is slower than the actual VM one is a mystery.

Ron

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@RonD1 wrote:

Hi John

Yes, I know it is our old Sky wifi name because it I named it uniquely when I split the % and 2.4 GHz signals.

It has been suggested to me that although it should not happen, one of our devices with the Sky wifi details managed to write it onto the Virgin Hub, so it shows up as Sky although it is actually the VM wifi.  But why the speed is slower than the actual VM one is a mystery.

Ron

Absolute rubbish!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Any suggestions as to what is actually going on then please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@RonD1 wrote:

Any suggestions as to what is actually going on then please?

I asked earlier about other devices like WiFi boosters?

0 Kudos