Menu
scotspie501
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Virgin speed check site

Hi All

I have signed up for 1GB download what site is the best to check as I have a hub 4 

the old site told me i had 98GB but because I have a hub 4 i was advised to go to another site which advised I 1200MB

is this a con and the site is just telling me I have 1200MB

any help on this would be great

0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin speed check site

https://speedtest.samknows.com/

or

http://ovh.net/

Speedtest.net is no good for 1gig or so I was told by a Virgin Techguy.

If you using a Hub 4 in router mode use https://samknows.com/realspeed/

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
scotspie501
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Conman

thanks for coming back so quick in the know how one it tells me speed to Router is 1200MB but speed to PC which is hard wired is 223MB

is that because there is many wifi devices using the 1200MB coming into that

thanks again

0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The top speed you will get coming out of the router will be 940mb max as this is the design of the router only having a 1 gigabyte port.

What speed do you get on https://samknows.com/realspeed/ with direct wired connection from PC/Laptop to router using a Cat 5e cable or better with a 1Gbps capable Ethernet network card?

1. Make sure the cable is Cat 5e or better
  2. Make sure your PC/laptop has a 1Gbps or better network card
  3. Make sure Hub is in router mode
  4. Disconnect all other Ethernet cables when running the test
  5. Try not to use any wireless devices during the test like steaming to vivo box or mobile devices
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
0 Kudos
scotspie501
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Conman

I think the ethernet cable running to my PC is not CAT 5 or even cat 5e due the old router being downstairs and I bought one from Internet and ran it up the stairs

the router was moved upstairs due to new building works and guess what new smart tv in 3 rooms 

and also ethernet extenders too and I think VM told me I had 20 wifi devices which included gas thermostat and alarm and alexi x 3

I have bought cat 5e cable and tried to use that on all the rooms but its looking like a bloody Data Centre with all the flashing lights 

I think you have answered my question my PC is for works and the kids are not screaming no internet 

whats your thoughts

0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

For any wired devices you need Cat 5e or better to benefit from the 1gb speed and Cat 5 only supports 100mb so ideally only about 70-80mb. Ethernet extenders are the same, they usually only support 100mb also and Smart TV's usually only come with a 10/100 network card, so again 100mb, 80mb reality.

If it were me I'd get a third party router and put the hub in modem mode, something with wifi 6 for better speeds and connectivity. I use 2 x Asus wi-fi 6 routers set up with Asus AiMesh system and get excellent speeds and coverage all around the house ranging from 400mb on my tablet and 830mb on my iPhone 11 Pro Max, but never any less than 400mb at my furthest point from any of the routers. I have one router at the Hub 4 and a single Cat 6 cable running upstairs to the other router but you can use these via wireless as well and most of my devices connected via wireless. My main PC in my living room is wired, my DVR, TV, NAS and printer are all wired using gigabyte switches and everything else is wireless (5Ghz) and Smart plugs are 2.4Ghz as that all they need. I try to keep everything wired where possible.

scotspie501
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Conman

your a star ,what you have told me about a 3rd router I did think of that and all the things you have mentioned 

its a bloody full time job trying to sort it all out  and trimming this and trying this 

I will take your comments on board and start looking into it with this lockdown I have become lazy and having a few beers more so need to sort this 

but Thanks again and I am trying to get everything hard wired 

I have started in my sons room but so many cables from that router between walls but needs mus 

thanks for coming back to me 

0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

No worries mate, I have the Asus RT-AX82U plugged into the Hub 4 and Asus RT-AX56U upstairs with Asus own software built in called AiMesh, a bit pricey but to be honest it was the best buy I ever made and has a seamless wireless connection around the house 🙂 

There are other options out there as well like TP Link Deco, and other mesh systems etc which I hear people taking about, I just know what works for me with a 1gb connection and it's working flawlessly, do your own research and see what you come up with 🙂

scotspie501
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

i was speaking to someone that had a mesh system and they loved it I have VM boosters but would love to have great speeds throughout

I think I have about maybe 60% sorted as they kids are ok but cant beat having the data

I have a mate in Dumbarton with open reach who only gets 1mb download

I think i,m a work in progress always thought it but you have confirmed it 

thanks for taking the time out to chat tonight 

0 Kudos
scotspie501
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi conman 

guess what i,ve been doing looking at wifi routers do you have 2x Asus RT-AX56U so I take it your Hub 4 is downstairs connected to your RT-AX82U

thanks for your help with this 

0 Kudos