Guys, I'll start with this; please bear with me on this strange situation!
I recently upgraded my Virgin BB package from 200mb to 350mb. I've been using this along with 2 WiFi pods.
From the point I upgraded, my download speed dropped to an average of 70mb. On some occasions, I'll get as low 6mb, and on some occasions I'll get up to 170mb. Even if I stand smack-bang next to the router, the speed doesn't get any higher than 170mb. But if I connect my Mac with ethernet, I'll get 350mb.
I ordered a 3rd WiFi Pod and not even that has helped. I've moved the pods around to try and get some success, but nothing!
Now for the strangeness! Today, I switched off all the WiFi pods. And guess what happened??? Yup, the speed has shot up. I now get around 270mb on the iPhone. And around 300mb on the iPad. "That's brilliant" I hear you say. But, here's the oddity. Now that I've switched off all the pods, and the speed has shot up, my Ring Doorbell is no longer getting enough reception!
I've asked for a Hub 5 (currently on a 3), but Virgin will only give this if I upgrade to a 1tb package. Or if I pay £70. The thing is, I don't see why I should pay this as I'm paying for the 350mb package and Virgin should ensure I get what I'm paying them for.
What on earth is happening? And how can I fix this?
Many others have told me the same thing. I really think I’ll be moving when my contract expires. I was so close to jumping to another provider in August, but stayed as was offered a last minute deal. But now not only is the speed atrocious, the customer service has been even worse.
Thank you for getting in touch with us here on the Community.
I am sorry to hear you have been experiencing issues with your speeds.
I can see my colleague is currently assisting your via private message.
We will continue to support you from there so do please get in touch with Stephen 🙂
If you are only getting 170 Mbps next to the router it's very likely that your phone is connected at 2.4Ghz rather than 5GHz.
I'd suggest that you go into the Hub's WiFi settings and change one of both SSIDs so that they are different. You will need to reset the phone wifi settings and your other devices, but they should now connect correctly.
Edit: I just noticed that you are using the Pods. I've a feeling that you can't do the above if you are using them. If so, ignore the above!