cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin gig1 super slow speed ?

Hx98
Joining in

i used to have 350 and whenever I’d do a speed test next to the WiFi box I’d usually get about 360 ish and about 100 in my room which was great. 

I renewed my contract to the gig1 and even since I have had it. I rarely break past 400. And the. Speed in my room is around 80. It’s absolutely terrible. I have done all the WiFi tests and it says the router speed is 1132 which is what it should be but I get absolutely no where near that. 

I have a hub 4. Can someone explain why I have such terrible speeds. Hopefully open reach will be ready and I can cancel and get out of this horrid VM mess. Genuinely baffled unless I’ve made a mistake somewhere ?

13 REPLIES 13

Client62
Legend

I am not sure that you have grasped the thrust of of the responses to this post.

You now need to invest in a Wi-Fi solution and or network cabling that is sufficient to cover your home.

Na I get your point and I appreciate you trying to help. What do you recommend? So I have 1gb and would like to Atleast get 500-600 upstairs?. 

Hi @Hx98 Thanks for running that scan and letting me know. I'll send you a PM now to get a Pod ordered.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

I can't advise you on what package to choose, IMO 1Gbs is for hardcore users.   You clearly getting over 1Gbs from Virgin so they are delivering the service to your property and you will get that if connect a laptop wired.

But when it comes to Wi-Fi their Hubs are useless. You must invest in your own Router/Mesh.  I previously had a budget Wi-Fi 5 Mesh and it was great but could not split the 2.4g and 5g band, so some speedtest would appear about 150Mbs because its using the 2.4ghz instead of the faster 5ghz. 

Changing provider will not solve the problem as most providers will supply a basic router. Just purchase this for £60 and will solve your Wi-FI issues

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255722821561?epid=2323159278&hash=item3b8a4497b9:g:LwYAAOSw22FjHxsO&amdat...

----------------------------------------------------------
M125 Volt powered by TP-Link Archer AX55