Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin booster not working as expected

Good afternoon all-

Virgin have supplied me with some nice boosters to help reduce black spots in my house.

i have an office in the garden which gets a low signal and connection speed is much slower there (i have 200meg in house but only 20meg in the office).

having installed the boosters (one connected to Hub + other in office)the actual signal is stronger visibly on laptop + phone but the actually speed is the same (20meg). 

i also tired an ethernet cable from the booster in office to laptop and no difference was seen.

any ideas? are these boosters supposed to provide us with the same high speeds as if we were near our hubs?

thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin booster not working as expected

If wired and wireless connections to the booster give the same speed then it suggests the bottleneck could be your electrical wiring or a faulty booster.  Try connecting the booster you have in the office into a power socket close to the booster connected to the hub and see if an Ethernet connection on the laptop is any faster.

IMHO the main purpose of power line adapters is to provide stable Ethernet connections without the use of long cables and/or stronger wireless signals in black spots.  There are not many power line adapters that can consistently provide 200+Mbps, unless they are in the same room, so I'd be surprised if the ones VM supply can.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for reply.

I will move it close to the hub and retry.- only issue with this is that I wont know if I'm receiving the signal from hub or booster. I could run an ethernet cable from the booster to laptop at test that way though. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@woolz wrote:

I will move it close to the hub and retry.- only issue with this is that I wont know if I'm receiving the signal from hub or booster. I could run an ethernet cable from the booster to laptop at test that way though. 

That was one of the reasons I said in my post to test using Ethernet and it will also give a more accurate indication of the speed the booster is capable of than wireless.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

so i installed my office virgin booster back next to the hub and results using ethernet were very good 205meg everage. 

install the booster back in my office in garden - using the ethernet connection again - 18meg. 

this points me to believe that when the booster is installed further away from the hub the signal download strength is still very week and so im not sure what the purpose of the booster is???

any virgin techs on here explain this please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Powerline networking works properly only if the mains sockets have a very good connection - ideally on the same circuit.  It they're on different circuits then performance is impaired, and if the circuits have their own fuse box things are worse still.

I think you have two options:

1) Run a long Cat 7 ethernet cable (edit: a weatherproof grade) (c£30) to the garden office and if need be have a £30-40 wireless access point on the end of it.  Cheapish, but possibly troublesome to run the cable safely and neatly.

2) Buy a decent tri-band wifi mesh system with three nodes, have two in the house and make sure that there's one with line of sight to the garden room where the third one is placed.  Easy to install, should give outstanding wifi everywhere, but you're looking at £300 outlay (and you might want to make sure it has the Wifi 6 standard for future proofing)

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Booster is the wrong word. They’re extenders really and they rely on decent electrical ring mains etc. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

hmm ok - i will try and put them on the same 'ring' see if that makes a difference. 

strange thing is i can see the actual signal is stronger on wifi by the visual bars on laptop or phone BUT the actuall speed remains low (20meg)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@woolz wrote:

hmm ok - i will try and put them on the same 'ring' see if that makes a difference. 

strange thing is i can see the actual signal is stronger on wifi by the visual bars on laptop or phone BUT the actuall speed remains low (20meg)

The signal will be stronger as that is just the strength of signal between your device and the booster, it is not an indication of the speed that your electrical wiring is capable of.