Menu
Ibrahim434
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Wifi Hub 4

Hi, I recently got upgraded from the Hub 3.0 to Hub 4.0.

I was promised this would improve my connectivity to my devices and I am unsurprisingly not shocked at how untrue this was.

I am constantly getting drop outs on the connection to my devices specifically iPad and MacBook.

The funny part is that when I was on Hub 3 the wifi was not disconnecting to these devices of mine as much as the devices disconnect now.

Any help ?

0 Kudos
archercj
Dialled in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Wifi Hub 4

WiFi coverage has never been an exact science. I had a Hub 3 but had it set to modem mode and used a separate router. It did what it had to do but there were complaints that wifi coverage wasnt brilliant.

When I upgraded to Gig1 I got the Hub4 plus an extender. Results werent much better to be honest even when I went back to the separate router.

And then covid struck and there were 3 and at times 4 working adults in the house needing to stream Microsoft Teams and Zoom. That was really bad so I invested in an Asus Mesh solution. One router next to the Hub4 and one around 40ft away at the other side of the house. Result - amazing. Including the ability to stream music at the bottom of the garden another 40ft away. In fact the phone coverage is poor down there (and we have recently put in a lockdown man cave lol) but my phone switches to the wifi and then connection is excellent.

Our house is a 2000 build 4 bed detached. The main issue was our kitchen extension that was insulated with Kingspan insulation that had a layer of foil around it. Killed the wifi in there.

You shouldnt have to invest £250 or so on an alternative wifi solution but if you are a serious user (and I mean several wifi devices and streaming a lot) then it will be worth it. For information our spare room is our office and that is ethernet wired. So is the living room where we do the majority of our streaming and other multi media stuff. In another couple of areas (including where the V6/360 box is in the bedroom) I have also put Homeplugs in.

Funnily enough (you mention ipads) the biggest complaints about lost connections in our house in the past were iphone users. I've always had an android phone (not an Apple lover) and I could be in a room with the rest of the family doing their familiar tutting because their iphones have lost connection and I would wind them up by saying well my android phone is fine

0 Kudos
Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Wifi Hub 4

Hello Ibrahim434

Sorry to hear of the broadband issues experienced, we can understand the frustration this can cause and appreciate you raising this via the forums.

From looking at your account we can see there are a lot of devices connected to your wireless connection, particularly the 2,4ghz frequency. The Hub 4 will automatically select the best frequency for the device but having more on one frequency can reduce the speeds and signal strength. 

We have these helpful tips https://virg.in/wifisos to help boost these. Alternatively you can follow the advice of archiecj and use the Hub 4 in modem mode with an external router or mesh system.

Rob

0 Kudos