Menu
jhuk
Problem sorter
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media UK Trials 2.2Gbps Broadband to Homes in Berkshire

LOL, it is still on the HUB4 (2.2Gb/s to HUB but 1Gb/s out LAN port)

I have not read fully but assume they will team the LAN Ports or simply spout the same old BS and say it for X device homes not 1 PC.

Virgin Media UK Trials 2.2Gbps Broadband to Homes in Berkshire - ISPreview UK

0 Kudos
jhuk
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media UK Trials 2.2Gbps Broadband to Homes in Berkshire

0 Kudos
Stythinator
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Why would anyone actually need something so powerful ... You can only download at the rate the server you are connected to is going to allow you so really this would be pointless unless you are streaming or some kind of uber tech like i am LOL

0 Kudos
jhuk
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Bill Gates once said something along those lines.

I can tell you I can get my full 1Gb/s speed easy on many sources, my main being Newsgroups.

So to download a new AAA game with patches at over 250GB (COD) I would rather do it as fast as possible then its done.

People said same back in 2001 when I had 512Kb/s and they had 56k, it still took me 3 hours to grab a 700MB divx/xvid so I had to plan for the Fri/Sat movie beforehand (ideally the night before or morning before work) and when it doubled to 1Mb/s that time was dropped to 1.5 hours so I could grab the movie after dinner and be ready for Fri/Sat night viewing, then it doubled again to 2Mb/s so I could do the same in 45mins or grab two at same time as before (1.5hours).

And this is me on 1 PC so imagine a household with older kids with one in each bedroom.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

so games and illegal downloads are the use 🙂 got it 😛
0 Kudos
jhuk
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yip, I was the first out anyone I knew friends or family or work that had VM (TW-BY back then) 512Kb/s and found out about Morpheus (Music city) then Kazza (never touched Lime-wire) and when they all became too well known and virus ridden I was on IRC then Torrents and then Newsgroups (I evolved).

I have not installed any of my Steam games since 500Mb/s or 1GB/s, only got back into my gaming, will see what speed it like soon.

0 Kudos
gitty
Up to speed
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It was a proof-of-concept test... Allocate more spectrum to OFDM and you get even faster speeds. When Gig 2 becomes commercially available in the future, you can expect an upgraded HUB.
0 Kudos