cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Gig1 broadband

MHockenhull
Joining in

Recently upgrade to Gig 1 Broadband and not seen any improved broadband. currently wireless speed standing next to the hub of between 350-500mb. I had a Virgin engineer come to the house and he said that everything looked ok and i would not seen speeds of more than 500-600mb anyway and the the Gig1 broadband is more about capacity rather than speed. Is that correct or should i see speeds in the region of 1gb?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey there @MHockenhull, thanks for reaching out to us.

I'm sorry to hear about the broadband issues you've had recently.
After looking at the system I can see this will need further inspection.
I will send a private message - watch out for the purple envelope 🙂

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

Cmrobertson33
Dialled in

• Thanks for that. Very frustrating.  

@MHockenhull wrote:
  • Thanks for that. Very frustrating.  

Have you checked what speed your wireless devices are capable of?

You must have good hardware on either side of the connection to see faster speeds.

I don't see how it can be frustrating when it's the limitation of the hardware in use, including the HUB itself.

Technically the HUB 4 is capable of 1.3Gbps on wireless, however your wireless device needs a 4×4 MIMO wireless chip, which most do not have. Even then you won't see this speed in real world scenarios:

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

If you have 10's of devices they can all share your 1130Mbps connection concurrently.

Hi Carl, 

I am only checking the speed with an iphone 13 pro. speed test on the Three 5g network are impressive not so much on VM. The speed i was getting with my 500mb package with a hub 3 were better than the hub 4 with Gig1 BB.  Also the wi-fi pod i have been given is still not working even though it is in the next room and only about 15ft away from the hub. 

@MHockenhull wrote:

Hi Carl, 

I am only checking the speed with an iphone 13 pro. speed test on the Three 5g network are impressive not so much on VM. The speed i was getting with my 500mb package with a hub 3 were better than the hub 4 with Gig1 BB.  Also the wi-fi pod i have been given is still not working even though it is in the next room and only about 15ft away from the hub. 

Was the pod provided before or after the upgrade to the HUB 4?

The pods are synced to the HUB so if it hasn't been updated on your account it won't work with the new HUB!

Your iphone does have 4x4 MIMO! Could you check the connection speed by accessing your HUB on 192.168.0.1, log in, then select the 'Connected Devices' section. You should see a 'Speed (Mbps)' column next to each device connected to your HUB.

After the hub 4 was provided. When i initially phoned  VM to query the speed they sent me one and they said that they were wonderful and would solve the issue. I don’t see how the pod would boost the BB speed when i am stood 2ft away from the hub but they insisted it would work!

@MHockenhull wrote:

After the hub 4 was provided. When i initially phoned  VM to query the speed they sent me one and they said that they were wonderful and would solve the issue. I don’t see how the pod would boost the BB speed when i am stood 2ft away from the hub but they insisted it would work!

I've updated my post above regarding your iPhone.

Could you also run the test on the below site to ensure you are actually getting full speed to the HUB:

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

BE8E3BD5-5B2E-4176-82EF-8E214DCA5410.jpeg

@MHockenhull wrote:

BE8E3BD5-5B2E-4176-82EF-8E214DCA5410.jpeg

So you are getting full speed to the HUB.

Could you check the 'Connected Devices' settings I mentioned above?