Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Virgin 4.0 hub and 1GB Wi-Fi slow

Hi I upgraded to virgin 4 hub and 1GB Wi-Fi and it’s actually giving slightly slower speeds than my virgin 3.0 hub with 350mb Wi-Fi I had before on download speeds (so around 300mb) I use Bt whole of home Wi-Fi discs to boost speed through house so did speed tests through them but also through the virgin router with those turned off. No difference. My equipment and upgrade to 1GB only went live yesterday. Anyone else experience the same? Found ways to improve?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin 4.0 hub and 1GB Wi-Fi slow

What speed do you get at >> Sam Knows Real Speed << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 or better cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi I’m getting 1GB roughly into the router and then 365mb roughly out of it using the Sam know test. This is wireless (I don’t have any Ethernet cables at moment to test wired). Important to note I was getting c360mb consistently on virgin 3 hub with the 350mb package.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

So the WAN side is good and the LAN Side on Wi-Fi is also good.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

But the router is projecting Wi-Fi way below the min for the package which can’t be right. Essentially getting no benefit for upgrading from 350mb package.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

There is no such thing as minimum Wi-Fi speed.

There are far too many external influences that can affect the Wi-Fi broadcasts that are outside VM control.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Graemespinks wrote:

But the router is projecting Wi-Fi way below the min for the package which can’t be right. Essentially getting no benefit for upgrading from 350mb package.

Are your devices capable of connecting to the HUB at 1Gbps speeds?.. probably not.

If you access the HUB on https://192.168.0.1 and check the 'Connected devices' section on the left hand side. You will be able to see the 'Speed (Mbps)' each of your devices are connected at. In the real world half that value to get an estimate of actualy download speed possible.

Only wired (ethernet) speeds are guaranteed due to so many external factors of wireless technology.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks everyone for your help. Sounds like maybe I need to look at my Wi-Fi set up. May get a Wi-Fi engineer out to look at best set up for my home to maximise.  At least I know from the Samknow test that I’m receiving the 1GB into the house.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If you do get someone in to survey and advise please use a local firm and not a multinational. Local firms need money a lot more than Currys PC World especially in these dire times.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

you are very very unlikey to get gigabit speeds over wireless even 802.11ax would struggle at them speeds

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos