Menu
Steveoo
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Very slow wifi

I have had issue with my broadband speed for about a week. Using speed test I'm sometimes only getting 0.44 Mbps . I managed to get through to fault line and they sent a new router but sadly it is still the same (router was 5 plus years old)was hopefully it was going to sort . I am currently working from home and it involves taking calls via broadband meaning I'm constantly having to ring back or loose calls .when I'm testing I'm in the same room next to the router have checked and double checked wiring can someone help.

I posted this message a few weeks ago and put it down Too many issuer and was told issue in the area that would be fix but I get the same erratic speeds and nothing like the 100mbps. Have spoken to my works tech help and as I can get good internet through ethernet they are saying that it's still a router issue (something to do with link speeds)turning everything wireless off things like phone ,chromecast but still low speeds . It's making it impossible to use internet calls sometimes.

Screenshot_20200512-215725.png

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very slow wifi

What speeds do you get wired to the hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Steveoo
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Don't know if the above helps .back to your question and today's ethernet cable reading are as follows 84.6 upload and  9.26 .   So much much better ( normal 110 mind)  the practicalities of putting the computer in the living room with 2 screens and a tower computer  or running an ethernet cable up the stairs with 2 kids if not there I I also had a old connection that ran to the other side of the room from the outside that I plugged All be it with home made connection and same results and I could by removing the cable clips into the back bedroom via the window still no better .

Screenshot_20200513-141217.png

I have been checking  cables and resetting hub if you can think of anything else you'd be most grateful knowing how busy their lines are 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

WiFi speeds aren’t guaranteed so you’re better off wiring in whatever you can.

That being said the WiFi in the hub is also poor so a better router would help. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Steveoo
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Do you think it is the router not poss wiring.i  did think about buying a new one but not if it didn't work and after they sent a new one and still poor . Should have said we have always had speed with ethernet cable but sometimes that drops to 50 Mbps . Again you help is really appreciated.

0 Kudos
Steveoo
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Slow speeds area 4

Screenshot_20200513-173946.png

Screenshot_20200513-172444.png

Screenshot_20200513-172426.png

Screenshot_20200513-172233.png

 i have asked for help before but hitting a bit of a brick wall here have had virgin media for about 5 years now and always rated the speed but it's like going back to dial up it feels like . Have had a new hub set to me (3) was using the original one given up to now and really hoped it would help but no difference all checks have been done and say everything ok , hub reset ethernet cable checked and much faster but not solving the problems for WiFi I am relying on to make and receive WiFi calls as working from home . Please can someone look at the stats and see if there is something obviously wrong ..

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speeds area 4

You already have a thread - please keep to the one https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Very-slow-wifi/m-p/4253754

0 Kudos
Steveoo
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

With no answers back what's the point

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Because you have to wait for a mod or tech to get to the post.

Making multiple posts and bumping posts pushes you to the back of the list. 

0 Kudos