Menu
jameselson
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Very slow upload (with Gig1, Hub4)

Hi,

I got a Hub 4 yesterday, and upgraded by connection to the Gig1 service. Last night, I got really good speeds:

• Download: 924Mbps
  • Upload: 43Mbps

Today, all day, I barely get 2 or 3 Mbps of upload. I'm guessing this is due to so many people using Zoom meetings etc.

network usage Gig1.png

Is there any way to find out which areas in the Virgin Network have congestion problems? I'm in London N10 3**

Anyone know if there's any scope for Virgin to offer a rather more balanced network? 1000 down, 40 up seems rather limited. Is there something inherent in the DOCSIS technology that implies it must be this asymmetric, or is this Virgin's choice (chasing headline-grabbing download speed at the expense of more upload)?

James

0 Kudos
Aaron2
Rising star
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Very slow upload (with Gig1, Hub4)

There is most likely plans to upgrade the upload side of things to support Docsis 3.1 as they trialled 2.2Gb and 214 upload in a certain area alongside also doing a "full speed" trial of 8Gbs to other areas. As for your upload being poor is doubtful that it's related to Zoom meetings however there's no info to go on so you'd need to post stats from 192.168.0.1 to see if there's any issues, also checking https://my.virginmedia.com/faults/service-status for open faults may shine light. 

From my understanding(Aka my opinion) Virgin only base their uploads based off the usage from the network which most likely shows more download than upload happening & really all the benefit would be is being able to upload files quicker to Google Drive, Mega, YouTube or Corporate Networks if you WFH. That may change once the upgrade to the network happens for Docsis 3.1 at the end of the year (assuming no delays). At this point they might giving some love to the upload side of things but again that's my opinion and they may already be doing these things under the hood. 

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.
0 Kudos
jameselson
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the fast response. My stats from the Router Status page

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 18.37.02.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-09 at 18.37.30.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-09 at 18.37.38.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-09 at 18.37.45.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-09 at 18.37.56.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-09 at 18.38.03.png

0 Kudos
Aaron2
Rising star
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Can you try doing a SamKnows realspeed with the Hub in router mode and see what it says the download to the Hub vs device is?https://www.samknows.com/realspeed

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.
0 Kudos
jameselson
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The tests I showed in the first post are effectively that (the Google router itself is hardwired to the Hub4 which is in router mode, and does the test internally, so no effect from wifi, devices, cat5 cables etc). but I’ll try the test you suggest.

I *did* get full speed a couple of times (1G down, 40 up), which to me implies there’s nothing fundamentally wrong with the connection, and that this is all down to congestion on the Virgin network. But it would be good to have that confirmed. 

Anything obviously wrong from the network status in terms of power levels and SNR for example?

James

0 Kudos
jameselson
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Seems I can't us the thinkbroadband background test because I can't enable ICMP responses on the modem, and I can't use samknows because as soon as I put the modem into router mode (not modem) it loses internet access (and samknows is trying to be helpful by requiring me to be on the same network as the router. 

Gah.

James

0 Kudos
jameselson
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So it seems I had two issues. One is an over-utilisation problem in the area that Virgin have acknowledged and say they are fixing later in the week. 

The second was that the Hub 4 they sent me was faulty. A new one arrived, swapped over, and when there isn’t contention, shows I have exactly what’s expected. Let’s hope the engineer can solve the N10 working-hours speed issues. I guess all the people dialled into work and school zooms is clobbering the system. 

D93491F0-E714-4138-9496-E872395FE9A4.png

0 Kudos
cje85
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Be aware that supposed "fix dates" for congestion/high utilisation are very rarely met. The faults do get fixed eventually, but it can be many months (sometimes over a year).

Most of the current problems will be down to the unprecedented demand for upstream bandwidth. If today's newspaper reports are correct and schools go back on 8th March things might start to improve from then on.

0 Kudos
jameselson
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, I’m aware of that (first hand experience unfortunately… been with Virgin Media for 20 years). This problem was apparently raised as a ticket in November  and, based on local WhatsApp groups, multiple people are being told the same date so I’m hopeful .

It feels like there should be some way of trading that very asymmetric balance between up and download. I just hope that they start supporting DOCSIS3.1 for uploads and that it makes a big difference. 

James

0 Kudos