Menu
Matthew012374
Dialled in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Very slow speeds 3pm - 11pm via Ethernet

Hello, Up until a couple of days ago i had no issues with my 350mb internet connection with full speeds 24/7.  As from 24/06 @4pm,  my internet speed decreases daily to just 4mb with pings of 60 between 3pm-11pm then back to normal at the other times. This is via Ethernet and wireless using several devices in the same room as the modem.

Customer Services said i am not in an over utilisation area, is probably an external issue  and an engineer visit is required (booked for 03/07/21)   only to then receive a very unhelpful call from VM on 27/06 stating because i can connect to the internet, didn't think there was an issue and a booster is all that's required - even though i only ever connect wirelessly in the same room and get these slow speeds via ethernet  so i don't believe a booster would make any difference  in my case).   Can Virgin Media tell me what is going on as i wouldn't want the engineers visit cancelled unless necessary!  (i have tried all the usual things my end as to the possible causes such as checking power levels, using various speed tests, resetting modem,  reconnecting, new ethernet cable, checking cables in/out of property though cannot see an issue)

0 Kudos
Barrerayy
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very slow speeds 3pm - 11pm via Ethernet

Same issue here. Are you in Croydon or surrounding area?

0 Kudos
Matthew012374
Dialled in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Tunbridge Wells, Kent.  It says on My Virgin Media no faults in this area 

0 Kudos
Barrerayy
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Mine says no faults as well but I've seen quite a few people here now and on reddit complaining about a problem in the area. Try using a VPN, as stupid as that may sound between like 4-11pm I was gettting 1-20mbps on my gig package for the last few days however using a vpn boosted that up to 600-700mbps. There's obviously a problem in the network somewhere but yours may be a different issue to mine.

Matthew012374
Dialled in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Download speeds are already reduced from full speeds earlier to now 23mbps with an increased ping and reduces further as the day progresses

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Lets take a look at the connection quality.

If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
IssueResolution
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Same problem here, past week every day around 4pm until midnight half the internet slows to a crawl, while other websites and speed tests still show full speed. Today it started at 1pm, probably because its Sunday and more people are online.

The cause of this is a peering issue at the Telehouse colocation centre in London. You can check this yourself by running a traceroute and looking for any Virgin Media nodes with "tele" in the name, eg "tele-ic-7-ae2-0.network.virginmedia.net". This is a physical data centre in London not run by Virgin Media where multiple ISPs and different networks connect together. The VM people on this forum have no access whatsoever to this and won't be able to help.

You can view graphs of total traffic flow which align perfectly with the issue here; https://portal.linx.net/

I have no idea how to raise this issue to those that need to know. You would think these big companies would monitor the network switches and add more when they reach capacity, but apparently not.

Stormphoenix
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Interesting - how does this explain turning on a VPN restoring your connection to nearly full speed? Are they traffic shaping?

0 Kudos
foccer
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I noticed the same thing last week. During the day, I am getting 200Mbps via WiFi and cabled connections then after 3-4pm, it drops to between 5-10Mbps.
Logged the issue via the website on Thursday and an engineer was arranged for Saturday. Friday morning all was good again so I cancelled the engineer so they could get to someone who really needed one. Friday night, same issue. Via the useless chatbot I finally got to "chat" with an almost as clueless overworked 1st line support person. Engineer booked for Saturday. Engineer didnt turn up so having wasted 4 hours in the house waiting, I then spent another 2.5 hours again getting the chatbot and 1st line person to do something. They kept blaming the wifi signal even though it affects cabled connections too. They even tried ot give mis-information by saying as I have 20 devices attached, each is allocated 10Mbps (muppets)

So, now I am on here - struggling with my 5Mbps again (it was 200 this morning) - Glad to see its not just me but disapointed but at the same time that Virgin will not admit their issue is a central issue.

I bet if all the people reading this checked their speed early evening they would all see they are being give much less than they pay for.

I now have an engineer visit booked for Friday morning - you know and I know that the speed then will be around the 200 mark so it will go down as no fault found and I will be struggling again Friday evening due to network issues that Virgin will not admit to.

This is in Crawley.

Stormphoenix
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Luckily the engineers are MUCH better then the CS reps and are quite knowledgeable - I'm going to show my engineer my quality logs and trace routes and get them to confirm its a central issue, hopefully they can send it up the chain, though I'd be astonished if their network guys don't already know about this.

0 Kudos